Author Topic: i've bought one ! ! !  (Read 28096 times)

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
i've bought one ! ! !
« on: September 05, 2006, 01:28:23 AM »
I've gone and done it? , yes i bid for a CaraCruiser on Ebay and won the bid . We collected it sunday , its been in a farm yard for 18 years ! i'm told it has leaks , the windows are all falling out and lots more
(about the same condition Rogers was)

p.s.
if anyone out there finds my marbles please sent back to me

gongoozler

• Free User
    • View Profile
Re: i've bought one ! ! !
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 02:52:35 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase. Hope you have wonderfull times with her. Doing a boat up yourself is half the fun I think. Keep us informed of your progress. It'll make interesting reading. What are you going to call her-mines called Halcyon, old English for kingfisher.
Good Luck. Gongoozler
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!"

bearman

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 07:39:54 PM »
 :o hi were did you find one on ebay i have been looking for ages what did it come under cheers bearman

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 12:47:16 AM »
Hi, our caracruiser has no name yet ! (it will be a family vote). On its Caracruiser plate its chassis no. is 0822, whats yours ?, I hope its going to be fun rebuilding it, but there's a long way to go yet , make change from lorries. Please could you tell me roughly where the water line is ,mines got a sink drain near the wheel arch and i can't make out where it sits in the water yet?
On Ebay it was under Boats & Watercraft-narrowboats/canalboats , i found it by accident it only had 2 days to go. Bidding for something like that so blind makes me wonder if i'm the full ticket!.
But now its home i'm still well pleased with it , the engine & trailer are both a lot better than expected, and 0822 is as rough as i thought . So far i've cut the f/glass floor all out & there's 2 ugly past repairs that i'm cutting them out ready a fresh start !
( p.s. i,m not into writing? , is this any good ? )

gongoozler

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 03:35:16 PM »
Hi, I can't read the chassis No. on my boat, the only things I can decipher are Model No. 81 and Unladen weight  750kg.
The outlet for the sink on mine is right underneath near the wheel arch and is underwater when the boat is afloat. When my boat is laden with several days provisions and a couple of people on board the water line reaches just before the top of the wheel arch-perhaps 4 inches below. I'm trying to find out if it's possible to post pictures on this site but I'm not very technical, perhaps someone will post some info. There's nothing wrong with your writing and I'm sure many of us will find it interesting and I for one am hoping to learn something.
I did see the boat you bought on Ebay but I'd just bought mine after a long search. I ran a wanted add on Ebay and eventually got a result. mine came off the Thames. I think renovating yours would have been beyond my capabilities. When I try to use fibreglass I end up covered in the stuff and I wouldn't trust my repairs. Good luck with yours.
Tom
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!"

Roger

• Free User
    • View Profile
    • http://forum.dawncraftowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=957
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 01:12:40 AM »
MISSTICKLE has no identification at all.

The sink outlet is the same, below the water line.

Mine has very little in the way of interiour at the moment so sits a bit high.

The search goes on to find any history, the only clue I have had is that they "might" have been made in Norfolk, a search of companys house etc has drawn a blank.

Roger

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 10:11:51 PM »
Mines has this little? nicely made Blue plate close to the steering wheel says on it ;
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?CARACRUISER
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?BRUNDALL NORWICH
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?NORWICH 715029
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Model No.? ?( blank)
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Engine No.? ( blank)
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Chassis No.? 0822
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Unladen Weight ( blank ) Kgs
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Max Laden Weight? 550? ?Kgs
Do they normally number boats with chassis No's ?
If i can follow Roger's bits about pics i'll send some pics, but i'm not that good with computa's

Roger

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 01:28:38 AM »
AT LAST!!! You have confirmed the Maker and Location.

I will do some more research, I have a customer that lives in Brundall.

Roger

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 10:55:43 PM »
Just moved '0822' forward along its trailer chassis trying to sort leak near missing centre 'spine' ,
 that male pin on the end of the chassis & female hole in the underside of the boat looks to a real bad (****) design to me
 Do all you other owners boats still retain this method of securing? the boat to the chassis ?
I can see why people say they can be? a problem to recover ( is that the right word )

gongoozler

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 05:48:13 PM »
Hi, bugsbreeze I have had 5 CaraCruisers over the last 15 years or so and all have had the same method of securing them to the trailer. I find that you develope a method of recovering them that varies a little with each slipway. You need someone to guide the front end of the boat onto the spline whilst someone else operates the winch. I find that the best depth to have the trailer at is with the tops of the wheels just showing. If it is a shallow slipway the boat will then winch all the way home to the bow-stop (not all boats have this but they are well worth having fitted if your boat lacks one) If the slipway is steep it is often best to winch the boat about 2/3 of the way onto the trailer and then move up the slipway a little to allow the back of the boat to line the socket up with the spline.
Roger, I didn't know your were looking for the makers. I have a little 8 page booklet from CaraCruiser at Brundal advertising the 3 different models, There was Basic model 1, Model11, and Model 111. It also offers a complete set of moldings for DIY fitting out. The boat is registered design. number 980679. There are pictures of the interior. Model111 came with a Volvo 9.9 outboard with tank and charger. The booklet is stamped with the name of (your local stockist)
Northern Distributors, MAJESTIC BOAT HIRE, 103 School Brow,
Romiley, near Stockport. Cheshire. 061.494 0394.
Hope you find this helpfull.
Tom

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 08:31:21 PM »
gongoozler , i love that name,
i recon your going to be swamped now, whats the chance of a copy of your leaflet , i'm more than happy pay

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? regards? Stewart

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 09:47:27 PM »
Sorry Tom , my last reply was a bit short and rude
after owning 5 CaraCruiser's you must be quite an expert on them
Just a few questions if you don't mind ,
How many of yours have leaked ?
how come you've had 5 ?
So honest now what did you think of mine when you see it on Ebay ? go on tell the truth
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?regards? Stewart

Roger

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 11:30:09 PM »
Hi Tom

Thats great, I would really like a copy as well.

I have been searching for ages to get some history, the nearest I have got so far was the address of a dealer in the Midlands who never bothered to answer my e-mail.

5!!! must be a record, so do you have any idea how many were made?

Its time we started to archive what we know, I know of three, mine: Mistickle, two in Beccles: Beer Goggles (was mine), and Bubbles.

Roger

gongoozler

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 02:10:40 PM »
Hi All,
? ? First an apology.My wife read through my posts and reminded me that I've only had 4 CaraCruisers because one of the 5 boats I've owned was a wilderness water rat.
? ? Stewart asks how come I've had so many, well the first boat I ever owned was a CaraCruiser I found at Nationwide Boats of Chesterfield-since moved-and I was atracted to the unusual design. Then whilst cruising the Trent and Mersey I found one on it's trailer in a boat yard at Burton, neglected, half full of rainwater and obviously unwanted. I bought her, did her up a bit and sold her. Her name was Zoar,now changed to Norwood T.
? ? I then came accross a wilderness water rat at Tooleys yard on the Oxford bought that and sold the CaraCruiser. Regreted this and within a year had found another CaraCruiser and sold the wilderness.
? ? I had this boat until 3 years or so ago when I had a heart? by-pass and decided that my boating days were over. I sold her and tried various other hobbies but none satisfied and I regreted selling my CaraCruiser. I offered the purchaser a substantial proffit but was turned down. I had let all the boating equipment I had gathered over the years go with this boat including an extending, ratcheting windlass that I now can't find a replacment for. Oh well we live and sometimes learn.
? ? After almost a year of seaching for a boat without success, 3 came up in the one week. One on the Mon and Brec, one in Portsmouth, and one on the Thames at Kingston-on-Thames and this is the on I finaly bought. She needed new indespention units, the trailer upgrading, and I had to fit a remote control outboard because my wife-who drives the boat whilst I work the locks- has arthritis in her wrists and can't cope with a recoil starter should the engine stall whilst we're doing locks. I have a Labrador dog and a CaraCruiser isn't very roomy so I had a canopy fitted so that she can sleep in the back.
? ? Had I not found one Stewart I would have bid for the one you have, but I would have had to pay someone to do the fibreglass work-that stuff is beyond my capabilities.
? ? To answer your other question. None of the CaraCruiseres I've owned have had a leaking hull but all have had rainwater get into the bilge.

? ? Roger,? there used to be a CarCruiser club run by a Ron Martin-now no longer with us-and the club died with him.
There were around 20 members and I had a number of newsletters and engineering drawings produced by Ron-he was an engineer- but I let them all go when I decided I was giving up boating. I was given to understand that around 35 boats were built in total. Ron also designed the bowstop for CaraCruisers.
? ? ?I am quite willing to photocopy the booklet I have and post it off at cost. I would need some address to send them to. I wonder if I could photograph them and post them here. Is it practical Roger.
? ? I read somewhere Roger, either here or on the Dawncraft site that you changed the steering on your CaraCruiser, was that expensive? The piggy bank is suffering from malnutrition. My steering is fairly stiff and my wife struggles a bit with it. Any advice most welcome.
Tom
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 02:26:53 PM by gongoozler »

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 04:39:11 PM »
Hi there , just trying pics too , my daughter given me a help, lets try it ! ! 
Our boat 0822 till we name it, parked at home only just fits, Clifford  guarding it for us

Just a interior shot

The CaraCruiser Plate

The previous repair , i've now cut 1 side out now

Tom i think you forgot to put the last No's on , we're getting there !
Cheers Roger ,
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 11:07:11 PM by bugsbreeze »