Author Topic: i've bought one ! ! !  (Read 28095 times)

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
Re: i've bought one ! ! !
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2006, 09:36:24 PM »
Hi , whilst trying to find where the rain water gets in i noticed looking up from the rear centre locker onto the toilet compartment rear wall its got written in felt tip? ?' Boat No. 3 ' , do you think thats the 3rd one built or Model 3? ?? ?

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2006, 10:01:42 PM »
Pleased with myself today , Had my engine running ! not bad as i understand it , the engine hasn't been run for 18 years . i fitted new impeller & grommets , new plugs , cleaned the points(not available from Honda) severall pulls and it was away a bit lumpy but had another go at the timing and it was sweet as a nut , oh i forgot its a Volvo Penta 75 ( a Honda 7.5 really with a volvo top cover)
How do i put my Avatar on ?, i can't rid of the little box [no pic]
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 10:06:57 PM by bugsbreeze »

mole

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2006, 03:47:55 PM »
Hi everybody, just been looking at the brochure, I see the table was a standard fitting, I'd found the hole where mine was but since it was only fixed to a flimsy fibre glass floor, had assumed it was a DIY bodge obviously not. I am in the process of filling my floor with squirty foam, wonderful stuff, I have also made a new hatch and surround(almost finished), the new windows are waiting to go in, polycarbonate, clear, about ?130.00. I Could have had tinted, but thought that just a bit too seventys. On the subject of windows, what was originally used to join the three front bits together? I thought of getting some stainless strip folded to the correct angle, then screwed on like the rest.
I Am still having problems with gas & petrol storage, I thought gas in the stb box/locker at the rear, but in order to vent it from the bottom the only gas bottle I could use would be an expensive small gaz type, anything else would put the vent below water. petrol I want to put under the floor centre rear where the engine was(mine used to have an inboard), unfortunately this puts it very low, and with petrol vapours being heavy may not be a good idea. Anybody else got any ideas?
I Plan on using a 15hp Mariner (cos I've got one) any idea on how it'll go? My only other engine is a 60hp Mercury but that might be a little silly.
Cheers, Mole.

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2006, 10:52:46 PM »
Hi Mole
My Caracruiser is on the backburner at the moment , but i was going to try and fold/bend the front window in polycarb ( i've folded small bits) so it has no angle strips up it , I'd have try some dummy runs first

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2007, 12:48:27 AM »
9/10 june  at last back on Caracruiser , finished cutting a chopping the tatty prevoius repairs out ,was on my knees for hours (feeling me age now ) soon be ready for bonding , i'm going to make some plates to bond over where the small bit of backbone is missing ( i'll have to take a few pics ) . I must get the boat of the chassis , i keeping scratching me head trying to think the best way to do it ,next weekend with any luck.

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2007, 11:47:33 PM »
We've  done it , we jacked the boat & chassis up together , then blocked the boat up on 3 axles stands with wood across & wedges under the back by 'bulkhead' for the rear  doors . At the front we just put 2 axles stands 1 on each 'keel' , then lowered the chassis down & a couple of jackings we got the chassis right out , its sits nice & firm & safe to work under.
I'm really glad we done turns out on the 'keels' there is 3 tatty old repairs which are terrible i can pick em off with my finger nail there not keyed to the hull at all !.Its good to see the chassis all on its own , thats gone to where i work plenty of room there, that needs full overhaul .
The worse bit on the hull is that female socket bit , its cracked & chipped badly, i can't decide what to do with yet , i favour doing a way with it all together & just strapping the boat to chassis , it looks near impossible to do a good repair to it , its so hard to get to ! 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 11:56:42 PM by bugsbreeze »

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2007, 08:10:59 PM »
just testing, i forgot how to do pics !

all  jacked  up  in  the  back  yard ! ,  i  can  even  get  my  fat  ????  underneath  it

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:32:04 PM by bugsbreeze »

therealmcM

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2007, 04:25:56 PM »
hello all,

I've recently inherited a cara cruiser SHORT CUT which is moored on the Bridgewater Canal, and appreciate all the information I've gained from the site and in particular your conversations regarding the origins of the boat .  Tom many thanks for the leaflet, this will be very useful as my brother who owned the boat has 'customised' it for one person removing all the seating etc, so I need to know what it should look like.  I know nothing about boats and would appreciate some information about the bilges as there has been flooding in the cabin.  I have emptied the bilge at the back of the boat but wondered if ther is another somwhere.   Also my brother mentioned it was very unstable when he tried cruising in it any tips would be useful.

Thanks again  Mo

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2007, 09:06:37 AM »
Hi Mo
Has it got a name ?  and have you any pictures ?

therealmcM

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2007, 05:17:21 PM »
Hi bugsbreeze,

Not very good with computers hence no pictures of Short Cut.   Can any one recommend a good book about how to work on fibreglass boats as my DIY skills are limited and not sure what tools and fittings will need to e.g. fit a canopy when I manage to make one and replace seating.   Mo

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2007, 02:07:08 PM »
Hi , sorry i,ve been slow in replying , been busy  ( but not doin me boat )
i brought a book from Amazon  ' The Fiberglass Boat Repair Manual ' by  Alan H Vaites , its quite detailed but  i'm a very poor reader , all the best on your renovation !   

therealmcM

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2007, 05:03:19 PM »
Thanks for book details will try local library.   I have been looking at the seating at the front of the boat in the leaflet posted here, but can't tell how it is fixed or how it folds down (presumably to provide extra berth) when needed.  A fellow boater has told me about a caravan salvage yard where I might get some replacement seating so will check it out.  Mo

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2007, 08:01:52 PM »
Hi , i haven't been online much lately
But i have been quite busy on the CaraCruiser .   I've Filled and Gel coat filled nearly all damaged areas ,
  It had 1 rear steady  leg torn out so i have modified them now by making a stainless steel support to go inside the boat but now with 2 pole clamps instead , with the new one 200mm above the orginal ones and bonded them all in and added a little stengthening  bar just above  the top clamp ( pictures to follow )
  Another mod i've done is , i cut ( i fink they call it ) the 'sail drive' bung/hole right out and have bonded right over it so its a lot flatter now ( a bit tidier for storage ) ,
  I've also fitted what i call a'speed boat' type drain bung to right at the bottom/back edge to drain all the rain water out it gets in it off the little rear decks , when its on land.
  We bonded a 22mm drain outlet to the toilet floor , just incase we fit a shower one day .
  i'm still modifying the gas locker , so its above the waterline to fit its drain in .
  But i have still to tackle the male/female socket underneath yet , my plan is to do away with it and strap the boat to the trailer over the extra rear steady clamp posts, ( i've  lots ideas for these new reinforced rear posts/stays)  .
  I am trying quite hard to get all done in the right order , repairs and mods and all the same time do everything  to be just right for the B.S.S. man ! ! ,
  The boat is at home , but if i get any spare time while at work, i do the chassis , i've brought a new hitch , draw tube and bushes for the coupling , but today i decided to get a new damper too , it leaks now i've cleaned the rust of it. ( trailer brakes next job )
   If its not raining i'll try and take some photo's at the weekend , but mine seem to come out too big when i put on here !

I wanted to ask some of you seasoned Caracruiser  Owners a few questions but at the i can't remember what they were at the moment .
  One was , have yours got water storage , if so where and how much , i wondered about putting some in the small front side lockers ?

A Just A Bit Too Much Writing Here Today ?  ,     bye bye