Author Topic: Slipways  (Read 31632 times)

michael-griffin

• Free User
    • View Profile
Slipways
« on: September 11, 2004, 12:48:28 PM »
The Association of Waterway Cruising Clubs, (AWCC) which celebrates its 40th year in 2004, is the UK's voice for over 100 boat clubs countrywide. We campaign vigorously in all aspects of inland waterways and have been active in expressing the views of our individual members in all matters affecting boaters and cruising. We enter into negotiations with British Waterways and the Environment Agency and other bodies at national, regional and local levels.
The club hand book lists all member clubs and the facilities they offer to visiting boats e.g. temporary moorings and more importantly to us slipways. :D  
If you?re local boat club is a member of the AWCC and have vacancies you could join them, if not as Hon Sec of Hinckley boat club, we would be prepared to offer Caraboat owners, associate / full membership of our club, halfway up the ASHBY CANAL, in the centre of the country :wink:
you can contact me, email hinckley.boatclub@ntlworld.com or mobile on 07981890237

victor herbert Harding

• Free User
    • View Profile
user friendly slipways
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 01:04:00 AM »
the slipway i use at vienian marine on the middelwhich branch of the shopshire union canal near nantwich is very gental and easey to launch from this where i keep our caraboat in the summer regards victor

victor herbert Harding

• Free User
    • View Profile
user friendly slipways
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 01:04:51 AM »
the slipway i use at vienian marine on the middelwhich branch of the shopshire union canal near nantwich is very gental and easey to launch from this where i keep our caraboat in the summer regards victor

Phil Hughes

• Free User
    • View Profile
    • Fourteen Locks Canal Centre
Slipways
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 01:44:07 AM »
The slipways at Pencelli and Fourteen Locks on the Monmouthshire & Brecon canal are very easy to use and you do not need a 4 wheel drive to slip. There will also be a new slipway open on the Crumiln Arm of the same canal by the end of May. Little Sue will be there for the opening and I post a report after. If you want pictures of the the other two slipways you will finf then on my journal :-    http://journals.aol.co.uk/nefyn/JourneysofLittleSue2

gongoozler

• Free User
    • View Profile
Re: Slipways
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 03:10:14 PM »
I can recomend the slipway at Countrywide Cruisers on the Shropshire union canal at Brewood (pronounced brood) a nice gentle slipway with safe parking for car and trailer. Telephone 01902 851662.
Another good one is on the Lancaster Canal at Bridgehouse Marina, Crossing Lane, Nateby. 01995 603207.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!"

gongoozler

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 02:29:30 PM »
Does anyone know of a good slipway an the Oxford? The one I've previously used at Feny Compton is now unavailable I'm told.
Tom
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!"

mole

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 08:51:51 AM »
There is a recently built slipway just outside Copredy, but he wants ?20 a time to use it. You're right about Fenny Compton, There are two concrete bollards blocking it now, I don't know why. I'm Told there is one at Adderbury but it's overgrown and out of use. Have you tried boatlaunch.co.uk? Personally for the Oxford I've got a friendly farmer who would lift me in with a forklift.
Mole.

Rob

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 05:19:41 PM »
Have you tried the Boatlanch site to see what they have marked close to where you want to be!

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk

Many thanks

Rob

gongoozler

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 06:23:45 PM »
Thanks Rob
I got no joy with boatlaunch and I don't fancy ?20 each way so I probably find a slip as near as I can to the Oxford and make a long trip of it when I get the time. Thanks for trying mate.
Tom

Rob

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 02:00:35 PM »
Why not  try the Thames, there are plenty of free public slipways then travel up to Oxford that way, nice river. I was sure I saw several close to the Oxford canal in good condition and they are free.

Many thanks

Rob

gongoozler

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 03:56:43 PM »
The trouble with free slipways Rob is that usually ther's no place to safely leave the car and trailer for a week or so. At a boat yard slipway they will usually look after the car and trailer for a small fee. I supose using a Thames slipway would be ok for a day out but I nearly always spend a week or two on the water once I get afloat. Thanks for the thought tho.
Tom

gongoozler

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 03:37:25 PM »
I would like to recomend a new slipway on the Trent and Mersey. It's at Kings Bromley Marina and is in my opinion a perfect slipway. The marina is situated just 2 miles and 3 locks from the junction of theT & M and the Coventry at Fradley Junction.
 The managment is extremly oblidging and when I told them that there was a sort of club for trail boats on this site he offered to let members use the fascillities at a reduced rate.
 They charge ?35.00 for both in and out and car and trailer parking is free for as long as your away and absolutely safe, but they appreciate a small donation to the one of the charities they support.
 When I told them of this site he offered to do a discount for members.
 "Tell them to make themselves known when they ring to book" he said "and I will charge them ?20.00 to slip in and out."
 The number is 01543417209 I will post a picture when I've more time.
Tom

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 08:35:03 PM »
Hi, I just thought that you might like to know about Whixhall Marina on the Prees Branch of the Llangollen Canal. Now under new ownership,we were charged just ?15 for In, Out and Car Parking for a week.Good slipway with plenty of room to manoeuvre.Leads shortly onto the main line of the Llangollen only a day or so from Llangollen itself.Absolutely beautiful.Phone number -01948880540. Hope this is of use.

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 10:06:46 PM »
Hi, we`ve just had a holiday on the Lancaster Canal,and launched from Moonsbridge Marina. they have an excellent slipway and are very pleasant .We were charged ?30 for in,out,and car parking for a week.Tel. No. is 01772690627.Address is, Moons Bridge Marina,  Hollowforth Lane, Woodplumpton,Preston, Lancs.

gongoozler2

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 12:04:53 PM »
These days of ever increasing prices it's nice to be able to report a price reduction. The owners of the excellent slipway at Kings Bromley Marina-Trent and Mersey- have reduced the charge for use of their slipway from?35.00 to just ?15 and that cover both launch and recovery.

Parking of car and trailer is free and security is excellent. They have electronicly controlled gates opened from the office or by a special fob.

Highly recommended.

Tom
Happiness lies not in getting what you want but in wanting what you've got