Author Topic: Moira canal festival  (Read 4095 times)

gongoozler

• Free User
    • View Profile
Moira canal festival
« on: February 23, 2007, 05:46:27 PM »
Is anyone intending to go to the Moira Canal Festival, held on the 12th and 13th May? It's held on the restored section of the Ashby canal and boats have free entry.
Tom
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!"

michael-griffin

• Free User
    • View Profile
Re: Moira canal festival
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 08:29:13 PM »
Hi how about a free event, with no slipway charge, no licence, no BSS, just insurance. well if your tempted here's a copy of a letter from my friend Lois
(no not that friend I'm not superman!)  :-[

;)

Dear Boater,
I am acting as harbour master at the Moira Festival which is being held on the 12th &13th of May 2007.
This annual Trail Boat event has moved venue this year to Bath Yard Basin, which is at Conkers Waterside. This is a more enclosed site on private land, which means no unofficial Fair, and no one can get in without paying.
The change of venue from Moira Furnace to the basin at Conkers Waterside means that while the event stays basically the same we are able to include more water based activities and displays These will include a Scout raft race, Canoe demonstrations as well as the usual trial canoe lessons, a chance to try your skills in a Coracle, a display by a team of Newfoundland rescue dogs and a Tight rope walk over the canal.
There will be the usual stalls and trade stands, in fact probably more, with some indoor craft stalls and a Local Food Fair in the Tree of Life Hall at Conkers Discovery Centre, there will be live Bands, Morris Dancers, and land based displays all day Saturday and Sunday. On Friday evening Quill will perform in Conkers Waterside Amphitheatre and on Saturday evening Rockoholics will be in the Amphitheatre (not free I am sorry).
Boat entry to this event is FREE as the boats form a very important part of the event (2 adults per boat), but boats attending must complete an entry form for insurance purposes, we would like (if possible) boats to display a story/information board giving the public some information about the boat and where it has been with photo?s if possible, these will be judged and a prize (wine?) awarded to the best. We would as usual like boats to cruise as much as possible to remind people what the waterway will be like when fully restored and to keep it in everyone?s mind that it is being restored for boats as well as other leisure activities. There will NOT be an illuminated boat cruise this year due to the evening bands.
I am not sure what other activities there will be for boaters, probably a parade of boats, and boat handling demonstrations (not enough time/space for competition) in the day time, I am waiting to see how the program works out, it looks very full at present. Maybe a cruise to other basin for unofficial bar-b-que Saturday evening depending on weather for thoses not going to the concert.
Again I would like volunteers to help on the canal side entrance, as the site is completely fenced and entry tickets include the Conkers centre?s as well as the festival, this is much more formal, set prices, wrist bands, no free entry, but the festival gets a fair percentage, if you feel you can help for 2 hours please fill in that part of the form, and if you would prefer a particular time please indicate, the gates will be open from 10.00 hours to 18.00 hours.
The moorings are good, the weed I hope will be minimal, and of course we will have wall to wall sunshine, but if not, you can always explore the Conkers Waterside and Discovery Centres the admittance to which is included with your free boat entry and there?s always the bar and a good local pub, water will be canal side, elsan and rubbish disposal on site.
All boats are welcome, the earlier you book the happier I am, but late bookings will be accepted.
As the evening bands are performing in the Conkers Waterside Centre amphitheatre it will not be free this year tickets are ?7.50 and advanced booking is advised, for tickets please phone 01283 216633 ext 6

All boats must have third party insurance but if anyone has problems contact me as I can put you in touch with a company who do reasonable third party cover.

There is not much else to report on the Trail boat front yet this year other than the National Trail boat rally
which I am sure everyone knows the details of.

Hope to see you in May if not have a good Summer Lois.

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT LOIS PLEASE EMAIL ME AND I WILL LET YOU HAVE HER DETAILS RATHER THAN PUBLISH THEM HERE
BEST WISHES
MICK G

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
Re: Moira canal festival
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 08:32:06 PM »
Hi Mick and Tom,
sorry i can't make the Moira rally this year though i have booked in for the IWA trailboat rally at grantham, is anybody else going?
neil m.