Author Topic: rear door hinges  (Read 15760 times)

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
rear door hinges
« on: November 01, 2004, 11:34:53 PM »
after looking for ages for new hinges for the rear door i came across some in my local B&Q warehouse they were packaged as 'cranked cabinet hinges' i had to alter the crank slightly but they were pretty close to the originals and the door fits fine now, hope this may be of some use to somebody, also does anybody know where i can get hold of an original mooring cleat?
neil m..

Hourhouse

• Free User
    • View Profile
Mooring cleat
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 10:33:36 AM »
This is not an original cleat as it has two posts rather than a baseplate, but you may get away it, and its reduced from 4.25 euros to only 59 euros???? Of course, it could be a completely different size...  :?
www.borresen.com/spa/partsCom.html

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
mooring cleat
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 11:39:46 PM »
thanks for letting me know about the mooring cleat, i did e mail them to tofind out more and the price was 84.25 euros reduced to 59,  :so thats a bit more than i would want to pay it could be getting up to ?40 with the postage on top, it does look a lot similar to the original though, thanks again..
neil m..

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
neil m caraboat restoration,
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 11:33:08 PM »
Hi All,
I'm trying to put some pics of my boat on the site, the first one is of the boat when i first saw it in lytham boat yard in march 04 :shock:

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
rear door hinges
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 12:21:22 AM »
here's the inside with bucket and jug used to bale out all the rain.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
rear door hinges
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 09:19:21 PM »
a few weeks later we were able to tow the boat away to a friends farm, about a mile away, all the braking system had gone so the wheels turned ok. there we emptied out the interior, fitted new glass to all the broken windows, the transverse frame was bent and had opened up a hole in the left wheel arch, looking at a water mark around the interior i guess this had caused the boat to sink. we stripped out both the transverse and longditudal frames, and re-glassed the ribs after plenty of advice from john. :)

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
rear door hinges
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 09:44:31 PM »
next we made up new chassis sections using the plans off Toms web site,
this made the job ten times easier, so many thanks to him for making them available, we uprated the front to back one as advised, and i tack welded the tangs with the frame in position in the boat, then removed it for final welding up. this meant they were in the right position to fit the ribs we had reglassed.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
rear door hinges
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 09:11:10 PM »
here's the frame installed and ready for glassing in

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
rear door hinges
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 09:19:27 PM »
I copied toms idea of a support for the splash well, i used plenty of liquid polyurethane to seal the frame and bolts going through, :D

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
rear door hinges
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 09:22:14 PM »
next we did the brakes , all the system had gone bar the back plates but i was lucky enough to find and old caravan with the same shoes, expanders & adjusters so i took the lot inluding the backplates as they were better than mine cleaned and painted all the bits and fitted them along with new hub bearings, i got a new compensator from towsure, and made up new stainless rods with bar bought from an auto jumble the standard thread for these old rod systems is 5/16 UNF. i got a cable adjuster and some stainless cable to go up to the lever at the hitch end. :)

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
rear door hinges
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 09:42:31 PM »
we did the extension to the hitch bracket, and i copied toms idea for a prop stand on this part, or small jockey wheel as my original jockey wheel was long gone, we fitted light weight propstands and brackets to the rear but i left on my front original brackets in case we needed them on a caravan site.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
rear door hinges
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 09:31:26 PM »
next we worked on the hitch, the original jockey wheel and adjuster system and the handrake lever were long gone and it was pretty corroded. i freed off the overun spring part ok and greased it up, i cut the old sides off, and used them as a template to have new ones cut out at the local forge, i then welded them on and welded in a couple of braces across and new tubes for the main pins to go through, i made a handbrake lever up after looking at toms website and johns video to get it roughly right.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
rear door hinges
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 10:00:51 PM »
lastly i welded on a propstand jockey wheel bracket, as the original system had gone like tom so thanks again to him for pinching another idea. i also bought some large 20mm bolts which are slightly thicker than the original pins, and took out the bit of wear in the bracket on the boat. i drilled the end of the bolts to take locking lynch pins but i've found if i fit the nuts when towing, along with the extension modification it clamps the whole thing solid.  we fitted new rear lamps and wiring etc and tried it out on a local motorway, all seemed to work well i got to 60mph with no sighn of any snaking. 8)

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
rear door hinges
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 11:07:43 PM »
we took the boat up to Garstang marina, for a test in the water, these pictures were taken at the end of feb 05

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
rear door hinges
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 11:20:21 PM »
we found one tiny hole in the hull which i marked so we could repair it,
i had a practice at folding up the hitch, we noticed you soon have a crowd assemble when you launch a caraboat :!