Author Topic: what to look for when buying a caracruiser  (Read 4332 times)

scottscotland

• Free User
    • View Profile
what to look for when buying a caracruiser
« on: July 16, 2008, 01:44:41 PM »
is there a list of what to look out for when buying a caracruiser.

gongoozler2

• Free User
    • View Profile
Re: what to look for when buying a caracruiser
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:28:38 PM »
This is just my opinion and not to be taken as gospel but I have owned four previously. I'm assuming it's on its trailer. If not I would lke to see it out of the water.

First I would lke it to be as original as possible. Some are modified quite a bit to suit the owners taste or needs  but in my mind it spoils them.

Check the obviouse things like the hull is sound. Have a crawl about underneath and look for signs of major repairs. Expect to find a few minor abrasions and small repairs to the gellcoat but if I found anything that looked big I would be worried.

Look for signs of water inside, expect some as it's difficult to stop rainwater getting into the bilge and if the boat is unattended for some time it can build up. So long as you an see the cause and can fix it don't worry too much abou it

Look to see if the tyres have been rubbing on the boat hull-a sign that the indespension units may be shot.

Operate the steering-is it stiff or does it move easilly likewise the gears.

Osmosis is not usually a problem as most CaraCruisers are out of the water more than they're afloat.

Check the outboard if possible. does it start easily? is it charging? also the electrics and gas.  Has it got a Boat Safety Certificate.?

Important. Does the person selling the boat own it?

Don't expect to find a pristine boat after all they're geting on for thirty years old but if the condition is matched by the price and you feel you can do anything that needs doing then you should be ok.

"I knew all that." You might say but it really is just common sense

Good luck

Gongoozler 2 AKA Tom
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 05:30:13 PM by gongoozler2 »
Happiness lies not in getting what you want but in wanting what you've got

therealmcM

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 05:21:33 PM »
Hi Would you mind glancing at my boat for sale and give me some guidance on price in view of changes my brother has made.  thanks Mo

gongoozler2

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 11:45:08 AM »
Mo,
Sorry mate, but as your CaraCruiser has been altered so much I really have no idea as to it's present value.
Tom
Happiness lies not in getting what you want but in wanting what you've got