Author Topic: Hello everyone new caracruiser owners on board!!  (Read 5247 times)

boatfitter stu

• Free User
    • View Profile
Hello everyone new caracruiser owners on board!!
« on: May 28, 2009, 11:00:19 PM »
Hi all! we?ve just bought Nick Nack and are dead pleased!  ::) I?m a narrowboat fitter by trade and have been looking for a caracruiser for a while for me and my girlfriend to moor down Cambridge for weekends - we had a camper van last year and were really missing it. My girlfriend (who?s the technical one) found a link to Nick Nack when it was on eBay and it didn?t sell so we contacted the owner. We live in Wolverhampton so Tuesday we went to Kent to see it. We loved it and hooked it up! It soon became apparent that for some reason (still don?t know why??) that the boat wouldn?t stay still on the trailer - it kept rocking from side to side. After many stops and an improvisation with some wood we managed to stabilize the boat but it was leaning slightly to one side. So off we started on our 4 hour journey home.
           We were stopping regularly to check the boat and the tyres and all was well until just past junction 12 on the M40 when we had a blow out on the trailer!! We were mega cheesed off as we'd come most of the way! Thankfully my girlfriends in the AA so we rang them and they came and loaded Nick Nack onto the back of their truck. They took us to the services where we had to wait for another AA man to come and change the tyre as the original one wasn?t 'allowed' to do it and I couldn?t get the nuts off. Eventually we were on our way and arrived at the workshop at 10:30 pm - we'd left Kent at 3! I?m going to refit the inside and hopefully in a few weeks well be afloat! Your forums have been a brilliant source of information and ill keep you updated on our progress

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
Re: Hello everyone new caracruiser owners on board!!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 11:44:31 PM »
Hi Stu
welcome aboard , i looked at Nick Nack must of been 5/6 years ago in
Tenderden a chap  named Chris had it for sale but i chickened out , bought mine  sept 06  off Ebay , keep doin bits , been getting on well lately , , i see Nick Nack last year in Newenden , All the best with Nick Nack , she's got nice sliding windows if i remember right , always fancy being a narrow boat fitter whats it like ?
 regards Bugsbreeze , ( Stewart )

boatfitter stu

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 09:46:16 PM »
Hi being a boat fitter is the best job in the world  - ive done it since i left school 20 years ago this summer. I'm self employed and have the 'work to live' not 'live to work' ethos although im sooooooo busy at the moment! Ill manage to fit Nick Nack in though - once I finish the boat im doing now - im gutting Nick Nack on Sunday  ;D . I had a boat reviewed in Waterways World recently which I was dead pleased with ::)

bignos

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 01:44:32 PM »
Hi Stu,
I saw nic nak on ebay a while back, it didnt sell - how much did you pay for her?

boatfitter stu

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 07:58:17 PM »
Hi ?1000 - I havent got far yet as im finishing a narrowboat fit out for a customer but i hope to start work on Nick Nack in Sept - im sooooo busy at the mo

bignos

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 01:13:11 PM »
ive just bought one too! you were bidding against me on ebay, lol! it was you that bumped the price up!!! thought i was going to get a bargain, and some boat builder wanted her to sell on.....
i liked miss ellie because of the original trailer and fittings, shame about the inside missing though, im going to rebuild in ply, could i visit you for measurements?

boatfitter stu

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 05:16:22 PM »
NO were not selling nick nack on weve got a mooring in Huntington for when its ready, boat builders do own boats!