Author Topic: Caraboat for sale  (Read 6156 times)

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
Caraboat for sale
« on: September 18, 2012, 06:58:53 PM »
Hi,Caraboat for sale on Ebay,looks in need of much TLC.Says trailer available by separate negotiation!!!Item number 170911323189.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
Re: Caraboat for sale
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 08:24:20 PM »
Hi Phil.
Thanks for spotting it and posting about it, It is "Hippo" which was on e  bay some months back as you say it will need a lot of tlc to get it back up and running but it would be worth it as not many caraboats come up for sale these days. There was one on e bay a month or so ago called "Wraith" on the GU canal near Watford it was at a boatyard who were selling it on as the owner had sadly died, it was another refit job but from the pics the shell looked really good and unmolested, lets hope the new owners get in touch. to let us know how things are getting on. We could offer them the dvd John made if they do.
bye for now.
neil m

macker1

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:19:15 PM »
Hello just to introduce myself.I am the person who has bought Hippo, she is in a bad state just a shell, the axle is rotted that should not be a problem as I have seen the photos of the modified axle. the front hitch and wheel suspension units are missing and would welcome any photos and measurements of these parts, also the rear roof has been cut and again would welcome any photos of this area.
Hippo is what I will describe as a brave restoration project just as well that i enjoy a challenge. She will be stored in Widnes, Cheshire if anybody is passing the kettle is always on

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 06:06:51 PM »
Hi Macker,I`m, glad you have posted on here,as we were worried that Hippo might disappear from the scene.I reckon that you`ve got a fair bit of work ahead,but if you need any help or advice,we`ll all try our best.If you`d like to PM me your landline phone number I`ll ring you to chat about it.I`m only down the road a bit in Stoke,so if you want to see a Caraboat in complete condition to refer to (or just to give you inspiration)you`re welcome to call.Hope to speak to you soon.Regards,Phil.(Caraboat Mr Towed)

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 07:36:55 PM »
Hi Macker,
Well done on getting Hippo and welcome to the forum,I agree with Phil you are more than welcome to visit us and measure up our hitch. and see how they are at the back door area. The suspension units are available new from a firm in Derbyshire called Peak Trailers a lot cheaper than indispension. I think Stuart Kimber got some from them for his boat "African Queen" This was John Nelsons old boat that is featured in the dvd i'll send you. Do you have the bracket the hitch fits into? and the front to mid part of the towing frame. They are the only parts which would be tricky to fabricate without plans.
It may be an idea to make the rear door area a few inches lower than standard if it has been already cut away, this would give it easier use of canals with low bridges like the Mon & Brec.
I know you have taken on a bit of a project, but if you can do most of the work yourself then you could end up with a great trailboat for a bargain price, I personally think the Caraboat & the Caracruiser for that matter are well under valued when you compare them to other boats, you can buy a good one for less than the cost of the trailer a Wilderness boat sits on. Thanks again for taking on Hippo.
neil m

macker1

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 11:47:17 PM »
Thanks Neil and Phil for the encouragement.  Hippo has the bracket on the bow for the towing Hitch, The main centre axle has totally rotted away and I think that this is going to be the first job that I will attempt. I will make chassis sections using the plans off Toms web site. And put some axles on her so that I can move her about. I will be collecting her on Sunday and taking her back to Widnes.  I will post photos