Author Topic: Hippo  (Read 10580 times)

macker1

• Free User
    • View Profile
Hippo
« on: September 30, 2012, 04:24:02 PM »
I thought that i would start a new topic on Hippo the boat that was on ebay, I collected her today here are some photo's

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
Re: Hippo
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 05:27:19 PM »
That`s brilliant mate,keep us posted.I`ll repeat as I said before,if you need any info or assistance please ask and we`ll all do our best .Cheers,Phil.

macker1

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 05:42:02 PM »
thanks Phil. if anybody has got a photo of the suspension units and wheels  I would be grateful. I have looked at the peak trailer site but don't know what type I need. I need to have the boat mobile and on this trailer it only just fits in.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 06:25:40 PM »
Hi Macker
Well done on getting the boat back and posting up the pictures, the wheels are standard caravan wheels, though Phil has modified his units to take Transit wheels, I have copied the dvd and article on Mirage and i'll get it off to you Tomorrow. There are some of Phil's modifications on the dvd too.
I'll look into the units you need, they can supply sealed bearings with them and wheels too.
good news that you have the bracket though it does look a bit rusty, it looks like you have the main window frame so you should be able to replace the glass ok,
If you like i could call on you sometime and bring my hitch with me so you could measure it to make a new one. I found making the new towing frame pretty straightforward welded it up and fitted it myself.
bye for now,
neil m

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 08:52:30 PM »
Hi Macker,really the very best thing you could do would probably be to come and see either Mr Towed or Helter Skelter in the flesh as it were.You`d be very welcome here to have a look round and a cuppa.(you`ll have to like dogs!!!---ask Neil)Regards,Phil.

macker1

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 05:13:59 PM »
Thank you for the offer I will take one of you up on it. I don't mind dogs have a trail hound. I was reading through some paperwork that came with the boat (only photo copy) of the original sales book. in it it says that they where fitted with a UA Jet Drive and inboard engine. are any boats about with this set up? or are they all powered by outboards?

I outboard engines are best can any one recommend HP long or short shaft?

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 07:01:44 PM »
Hi Macker,I think I`m right in saying that they`ve all been fitted with outboards now.The original drive units were woefully inadequate,and with an inboard petrol engine they were a disaster waiting to happen in all probability.I`ve got a Honda 6hp short shaft on Mr Towed which performs fairly well on canals,but if you wanted to do a lot of river work,you`d probably need a bit more power.Hope this helps,Phil.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 09:40:41 PM »
Hi Macker,
Don,t bother with the jet drive, that was the reason only 64 were made as the water inlet would clog with weed within a few yards of setting off.Also now we have BSC there are a lot of regs for inboard engines avoided with an outboard. Some owners have fitted the engine on a frame at the back, I decided to use a removable transom to try and keep the use as a caravan possible.
my motor is a 9.9 honda longshaft though i have tried out different transom heights and think a shortshaft may be better.
If you look at Stuart Kimbers post he has listed a ref no you could quote to peak, the flexiride ones look most like the originals and he got 1300kg ones which should be plenty strong enough.
l have posted the dvd today let me know when you get it.
bye for now,
neil m

amphiranger

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 07:15:54 PM »
What a project! My honest respect!
Well, my own project is half finished now, meaning chassis, axles, wheels are new and towing bar including hitch are changed to German specifications. So I got some left overs, like the original hitch I do not need anymore and can give you.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 07:34:43 PM by amphiranger »

macker1

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »
Is it possible to see photo's of your modified hitch and axles. looking at some photo's there seems to be two different types of the original hitch

amphiranger

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 01:01:29 AM »
Here is a picture of its current stage.
For more pictures I need to go into my barn to take. Anyway, as you can see it is a modern type of adjustable hitch. The bar is one piece leading through the hull to the chassis frame, that for I had to make a special sealing.
I also use the stronger axles (1300Kg) from Peak trailers, but I did the mistake to order to fit original rims. It would have been more clever to fit same rims as towing vehicle in order to save one spare wheel.
Right now the front area is still taken out and covered with mattress to keep it warm when working inside the boat.

amphiranger

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 10:16:51 PM »
And here is a picture of the hitch I do not need anymore.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 11:49:32 PM »
Hi Amphiranger,
Wow looks like your making a great job of your boat, thanks for posting the pictures. have you thought of a name for your boat yet? and where in Germany do you plan to sail it. its good to see another boat coming back to life,
Also does your new style hitch fold up like the old one?
There are two types of original towing hitch the early one is tapered from the front backwards(mk1) and the later one is parallel (mk2).  amphiranger's picture shows the later one, this should be fine for Hippo.
we only know of one mk1 boat and that was John's boat (one on the dvd).
please keep us up to date with all your progress.
neil m

GRUSS

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 09:12:28 PM »
Hello everyone
I've already spoken to hippos new owner jimmy via email the other day. My family bought hippo some years ago and owned for about 5 years. Very fond memories! Infact the Norfolk broads picture was took on my birthday, I think I was 10 or 11(would have to check) I'm now 30!

If people are interested I will upload various pictures of hippo and of the other caraboats that attended the rally on the chesterfield canal. You may have seen a group of caraboats in a lock?

Jimmy did you get my text earlier? I sent you my dads home phone number...

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 10:17:02 PM »
Hi Gruss,
Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the caraboat forum. I'm sure we would all love to see more pics and any memories your family have of Hippo. The 5 boats in lock was a copy i made of another picture, it belongs to another caraboat owner Bill & Sandra who own Frog Prince, they were at the Chesterfield rally though not with their boat. looking at the bikes on the Norfolk Broads picture it looks like there was four of you on board, which shows how versatile the boats are, can you remember if the interior was original at that time? thanks again for the info.
neil m