Author Topic: The boat without name  (Read 5120 times)

amphiranger

• Free User
    • View Profile
The boat without name
« on: November 05, 2012, 10:43:45 PM »
Well, to be honest my Caraboat has no name and most probably will never get a name. None of my amphibians got a name - just numbers.
It may be time to give you a short update of its restauration. The underbody is 95% finished. It got new frame, new axles, new wheels, new hitch - well there was not much left I could use. The hull was broken and had to be laminated as well as some of its wooden inserts had to be replaced. For German T?V e.g. MOT I could not use the original towing hitch and bar - too weak and not type approved. :-(
That for I had to install a much stronger bar and a new hitch. As the bar had to go through the hull, I had to build a special sealing device. Now the hitch does not fold up as original but is variable in heights, which is very important for my case of use. remember I want to tow the Caraboat behind my Amphibian car same on road as on water. Because the car will go deeper in the water than the Caraboat I need to have a hitch which is able to equalize the difference between both.

amphiranger

• Free User
    • View Profile
Re: The boat without name
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 11:02:14 PM »
The boat is already on its own wheels, brakes work and it can be towed. But still I need to replace all windows and do all the interiour.
A look inside shows you I have added an auxillary frame in the front, same I will do in the rear. That is for special reasons that have to do with towing behind an amphibious car. Also I had the feeling of the balcony floor in the front is very weak and could need some underlayer. You may say that this all looks very heavy and you may be right, but new brakes, hitch, wheels and axles are already changed for 1300kg. So I have some weight reserve. However the towing vehicle has 145hp and tows up to 2 tons, so no problem.
And I may save some weight changing all glass windows to plexiglass. Need to do this again for German T?V.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 11:52:19 PM by amphiranger »

amphiranger

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 11:23:01 PM »
just found some pics from when I bought it:

amphiranger

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 11:28:05 PM »
Yes, you may see from the background I have bought it from a Junkyard in France.

amphiranger

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 11:43:57 PM »
This one had a blackberry farm on board

amphiranger

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 11:49:16 PM »
And those two last pics show you how I store it at the moment. Underneath I park one of my other toys - an 1961 Amphicar I own since 24 years now. No, this is not the supposed towing car! The towing Amphib is a little bit bigger. I already had the Caraboat hooked on the towing Amphib and it looked great, but I missed to take pictures. Well next time...

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 12:16:32 AM »
Hi Amphiranger,
Great pictures thanks for putting them up, i was impressed with the new hitch assembly and had wondered how you would get the hitch height correct to tow on the water with your amphicar. did you desighn and make it all yourself. best of luck with the rest of your restoration please keep us posted. and well done on rescuing this boat.
bye for now,
neil m

macker1

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 09:48:45 PM »
Nice photos amphiranger I like the mod on the front ant the way it reinforces the front jacking leg brackets (I might use the idea). I  Spoke to your friend from Germany today he told me the hitch is on its way, Thank you and Neil again.