Author Topic: LATEST CARABOAT  (Read 5147 times)

michael-griffin

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
LATEST CARABOAT
« on: July 30, 2014, 10:49:09 AM »
Hi to you all, after selling my caraboats some years ago, due to ill health (now improved), I have just purchased (Sunday) another mk2 20/73.
Its just a shell on wheels with the worst axle I have seen, but it did get me home (45miles) and is now removed and a new one ready to fit, happy days!!
Mick G 8)

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
Re: LATEST CARABOAT
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 01:58:31 PM »
That`s brilliant Mick.Hope we get to see what you`re doing with it as you progress.Cheers,Phil Riley.

Phil Hughes

• Free User
    • View Profile
    • Fourteen Locks Canal Centre
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 02:37:22 PM »
Well done Mick, look forward to seeing the progress on the site
Phil H

Stuart Kimber

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 09:04:46 AM »
Excellent!
You just can't give 'em up can you?!
Looking forward to pictures in due course.
Stuart

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 10:24:38 PM »
Hi Mick,
Great news you found another caraboat, please keep us up to date on your progress with it,
bye for now,
Neil

michael-griffin

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 10:51:19 PM »
Hi to you all and many thanks for the kind words, will try to upload the photo's starting with the axle which was repaired like this when I purchased it, but dont knock it it got me 45 miles home with only a hand full of petrolium jelly to stop the friction between the tyre and wheel arch  :)

and it did not want to come undone with most of the bolts (setscrews) sheering off

new axle in place, sealed with plenty of sealant and fibreglassed in place

the black marks were again done by the other guy the vasoline prevented any more

there were no brake components and the wheel studs, one side, had been replaced by nuts and bolts

new axle in place

wheel arch with plenty of clearance and new studs and proper wheel nuts, note the hand brake, its a blue brick not a soft common ;D

and five photo's of the caraboat after a road test showing the ride hight and wheel aliginment

and 3 when I collected it

it now has a floor and a roof lineing but I have not uploaded the photo's yet.

Did any of you notice it is a right hand drive ? should I leave it rhd and have a big window to look through or change it to lhd, is the better view worth sitting 3 to 4 foot the other side ?
best wishes
Mick G

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 08:47:12 AM »
Great pics Mick.Nice to see it coming along.I personally think that LHD is the better option,but,as they say,"Whatever floats your boat",or Caraboat in this case.Keep up the good work,and I`m looking forward to seeing her back in the water and maybe we can get a group photo at some stage.Cheers,Phil.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 10:37:19 PM »
Hi Mick,
Great pics, you were right that is the worst chassis i have ever seen too. keep up the good work, I guess it will depend on how you plan your fitout on where you have the steering, though i put it on the left to leave more room for table and bunks on the right,
bye for now.
neil m

michael-griffin

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 06:42:11 PM »
Hi, just a few more pic's to show progress, clean white plastic boards to give me a blank canvas, perhaps not your taste but good insulation and easy clean.  8)

][URL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/caraboatinfo/media/caraboat/photo3b_zps70eb957f.jpg.html]

[/url]

slow progress but I have also instaled conduit both sides to take new electrical cables 12volt and 240volt, cables also installed and sealed a few of the many leaks from above that these craft have.  :-[

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 11:44:04 AM »
Looking really good Mick,keep up the good work.Look forward to seeing her afloat.

michael-griffin

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 12:17:44 PM »
Sorry Phil, it will not be this summer, My Daughter has just started a new job and needs an office for the next 3 months and she has decided the Caraboat would be perfect, so it has been moved to her house and set up for her use, I had already installed 240v.
I have to admit it does make a great mobile office, is this a first ??  ::)
Whilst its in use I will be "sorting out" the tow hitch and the outboard bracket, finding some brakes and pre making the inside fittings, so no pressure   :-[

][URL=http://s479.photobucket.com/user/caraboatinfo/media/caraboat/IMG_0223_zps710105c1.jpg.html][/url]

michael-griffin

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 07:44:35 PM »
Hope to start the renovation again later in the year when my daughter moves to a bigger house.