Author Topic: Renovating The Mirage  (Read 6680 times)

Hersheymad

• Free User
    • View Profile
Renovating The Mirage
« on: August 06, 2014, 08:53:35 AM »
Hi all,

Hope you can help. I am Stuart and along with my wife bought The Mirage about 2 years ago.
I have finally got the time to start my renovation. I did see a topic started with Neil about a DVD
with hints and tips to help with the renovation.
I have emailed Neil but have not recd a reply.
Does anyone else have this DVD or could you direct me as to where I might be able
to upload it please.
Id also like to know the bolt strength for the suspension unit,

Would be very grateful hoping to have on the water early next year. Many thanks Stuart and Pam Mann

Stuart Kimber

• Free User
    • View Profile
Re: Renovating The Mirage
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 04:30:59 PM »
Dear Stuart.
I'm also Stuart and I have an up and running Caraboat called The African Queen (yes, I know!).

Just tried to post something with pictures of a stripped out Caraboat but it doesn't seem to have worked.
If this post comes up, give me your e-mail and I'll send what I've got.
I've neer seen the video you mention but it does get mentioned in some of these Forum strings if you trawl through.
There were also pictures of someone rebuild which I also can't find here but I may have copied some to my computer.
I'll send any I have to your e-mail address.
You'll find a link to my photo bucket on another string with pictures of my boat.
I also had my suspension units replaced and could find details for you if you need them.

Keep us informed of progress!

Kind regards

STUART

Stuart Kimber

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »
Hi Stuart,
Here's a link to Tom Bradley's renovation of 'Little Sue'

http://www.geocities.ws/littlesue2323/

STUART

Hersheymad

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 05:12:08 PM »
Hello Stuart,

That looks great, when I get home will have a better look at that, thank you very much for that, I will also have to get some photos up for you to see what Im up to.
Im struggling with what torque strength, ???? ..... for the bolts on the suspension unit as I need to replace them and not sure what  specifications I need, but
other than that its going well have completely stripped her, there wasnt very much interior and it had suffered badly with damp and the chassis was rotten, so have my
hands full.
Lovely to hear from you, all the very best, Stuart  and Pam Mann

Hersheymad

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 05:14:37 PM »
Deleted :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:28:52 PM by Hersheymad »

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 11:43:13 PM »
Hi Stuart,
Thanks for getting in touch, we were wondering where "Mirage" had gone and it sounds like its deteriorated since Victor had it.
It was the most original Caraboat left at that time and i do have some footage of it then on the video/ now DVD i can send you a copy if you like. I will send you an e mail with my current e mail address for contact details.
I used the drawings off Tom Bradleys website for making up the new frame for "Helterskelter", I used stainless nuts and bolts to bolt the suspension units on to the frame i think they were 12mm dia from memory, i'm not sure what you mean by torque strength, do you mean tightening torque setting for the bolts when you do them up? you will need the new frame installed before you can bolt the units to it, and use plenty of PU sealer or Sikaflex around all the parts as you fit them to prevent water leaking in. The Caraboat was designed for short spells in the water and it looks like "Mirage " Has suffered like many others in that respect.
All the best with your renovation,
keep in touch,
neil m

Hersheymad

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »
Just reading your message on the forum, we are shocked that the Mirage was the "most original", as
when we got her she was a mess.  There was a sink and sliding drawers and the cooker.  Unfortunately the
previous owner had boxed in the toilet area and put a wood burner in its place and cut out the retaining
side panels from the interior used for support. So we have had no choice but to start from scratch.  We have
kept some of the panelling.  We travelled to Wales to purchase a 1970s caravan for the interior so its as
original date wise as possible.  So sad news really, Thank you for the downloads.  We have actually got quite a lot of
original paperwork that came with the caraboat from "Victor" i think from memory, but do want to fit
hydraulic brakes after being told that the brake bar can be ripped out.

Oh lastly the strength of the screws used I need both the tightness of the screw and strength of the bolt, also
i thought about using stainless steel bolts but was told that it causes a chemical reaction between the metals ???

I may still try and get some SS screws if you have used them.

All the best thanks again for all the help.
I have sent you a copy by email but thought others would like to see my reply

michael-griffin

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 05:37:57 PM »
Hi Stuart, I have just purchased another caraboat, and like you I intend to buy a caravan for parts, I have nothing inside my caraboat except the original ply floor  (well most of it just chucked in) but I intend to bring it upto date with a caravan that has damp (caravaners dont like damp !!)and as new as I can get.
 I think Phil has done away with cables on Mr Towed?, I would add that as a caraboat "may" weigh 1600lbs ex works with engine (which most have had removed) it is less than the magic 750kg and as such "may not need brakes.
If you live anywhere near me( Hinckley, le10) you are welcome to come and see my progress, as I said I have only had it for a couple of weeks, but have fabricated and fitted a new axle/subframe, new floor joists and refited the floor, repaired the sides frames and I am about start on the roof lining (it dont have one).
I would remove your email and only send it PM unless you need all the enlarging drugs I get offered for my boat club email as someone posted it online for me!!.
best wishes
Mick G

Hersheymad

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 06:27:45 PM »
Thanks Mick, you have worked hard, Im  Telford so your not that far and once I stop working will take you up on that and have a look.
We dont want to put the cable brakes in either was thinking about hydraulic brakes ? Would feel happier with a braking system.

I have tried to delete my email but it hasnt  worked, will have another go later, no offers as yet tho :)

Anyway thank for replying what a brilliant site this is all the very best
Stu
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:29:49 PM by Hersheymad »

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 11:46:36 PM »
Hi Stuart and Mick.
Its great two more boats are being restored, but on the issue of the weight i don't know how that 1600lbs figure can be right as mine weighs 1040kg without the outboard and Tom said "little sue 2" which was fitted out as light as pos was over 900kg so you will need brakes, if you can fit a hydraulic system without the rods and cables it would be best. I don't know about any chemical reaction with the bolts, I always thought stainless was the way to go for marine use.
bye for now,
neil m

Hersheymad

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 10:16:54 AM »
Hi Neil

Im happier fitting brakes and never really thought of not having any, as regards the bolts I thought I read about the metal reaction on this forum
I too was shocked and have only ever know SS to be used for marine.
Im hoping to pop and see Phil this Sunday and have a chat about hydraulic brakes and one or two other topics.
Thank you all very much for all helpful hints and tips as any suggestions are very welcome
Will pop some photographs at later on
All the best
Stuart M

Hersheymad

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »
Also had noticed this caraboat  chassis on ebay ? for anyone who may not have seen it or need one.
Heres the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caraboat-Chasis-/261553675074?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item3ce5d05b42

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 10:56:46 AM »
Already posted under Caraboat parts for sale.

michael-griffin

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 11:15:09 AM »
Hi, Neil, I got the 1600lbs from the original paperwork, http://www.caraboat.com/Forum/index.php/topic,278.0.html posted by  :-[.
 I have not weighed any of mine which is why I put "may" and at the time of construction (71-73) the rules/law were "any thing over 2 1/2 cwt, unladen weight reqired brakes.
As a geneal rule you should never use different metals in wet conditions due to Galvanic corrosion, but if you have to then anodes should be fitted and properly "earthed" to all metal surfaces or you could protect all metals with epoxy paint, sorry "coating".
Thats life Neil, you wait for a caraboat to come along and the two arrive at the same time (or is that buses?)
best wishes
Mick G

Stuart Kimber

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 09:59:32 AM »
Hi All,

Had mine weighed a couple of years ago, without engine and it was 1175 kg.
Unladen, of course.

Regards
Stuart Kimber