Author Topic: Hippo for sale on Ebay  (Read 5765 times)

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
Hippo for sale on Ebay
« on: March 13, 2015, 12:45:19 PM »
Hippo is up for sale on Ebay .
eBay item number:
  Looks pretty poorly but it`s a starting point .Hope it goes to a loving home.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
Re: Hippo for sale on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 10:57:08 PM »
It says new galvanised chassis/trailer. I wonder if its had a new chassis fitted or it means the trailer its on,
hope it goes to a good home.
Neil m

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 05:34:41 PM »
Well,Hippo`s sold again.Let`s hope she goes to  someone who will bring her back into use.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 09:29:59 PM »
Hippo is up on e bay again,item number   261876290211

hope it goes to a good home.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 12:35:12 AM »
Well Hippo sold for 1353, it would be great if the new owner gets in touch and lets us know how the restoration gets on..

Tim

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 03:21:04 PM »
Hi, I bought Hippo and hope to restore her to her former glory. Unfortunately a previous owner has made a shambolic mess of her by cutting the rear of the roof out. Can any one let me photograph and measure an uncut original roof?
Can anyone let me measure the hitch and braked wheel suspension units as mine are missing
Also does anyone know what in board motor that Caraboat supplied and where it was placed on board?
10 years ago I restored the last 2 storey Berkeley Statesman caravan for the Caravan Show. You can view this on Quest channel or Youtube under How to build a caravan 1,2 and 3.
Very happy to recieve any help on this and may try for the Amazing Spaces programn

Stuart Kimber

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 03:59:07 PM »
Hi Tim,

I have an up and running Caraboat and would be delighted for you to come and photograph it.
I'm in Westcliff-on-Sea until the end of July then I'm retiring to Kings Norton in south Birmingham.
Its probably best if you actually see it, but if you're too far away I'd gladly take some pictures for you and e-mail them.

Kind regards

STUART KIMBER

Stuart Kimber

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 04:01:56 PM »
PS!
I had my suspension units replaced a few years ago and probably have the bill somewhere in my packing with details of where they came from.
They were new units at the time.
Regards
STUART

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 07:23:18 PM »
Hi Tim,whereabouts are you?If you want any pictures or measurements,I`m sure I can help,as can several of the members on here.It`s always easier if you can actually see the real thing to work from.The engine was a Lombardini if I remember correctly,and it was fitted under the rear doorstep.I really would not recommend going down that route,as you will have extreme difficulty in passing the safety certificate examination.Also,the original setup was woefully inadequate in terms of power and steerage. Frankly an outboard motor is the only way forward in my opinion.I`m off out on my Caraboat for a few days from tomorrow so I won`t be able to help any more `till after next weekend.Hope you can get Hippo up and running again.It will be worth it,I`m sure.Regards,Phil Riley (Caraboat Mr Towed).

Hi, I bought Hippo and hope to restore her to her former glory. Unfortunately a previous owner has made a shambolic mess of her by cutting the rear of the roof out. Can any one let me photograph and measure an uncut original roof?
Can anyone let me measure the hitch and braked wheel suspension units as mine are missing
Also does anyone know what in board motor that Caraboat supplied and where it was placed on board?
10 years ago I restored the last 2 storey Berkeley Statesman caravan for the Caravan Show. You can view this on Quest channel or Youtube under How to build a caravan 1,2 and 3.
Very happy to recieve any help on this and may try for the Amazing Spaces programn

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 11:31:20 PM »
Hi Tim,
Congratulations on getting Hippo and welcome to the forum, I am in the North West in Lytham not far from Preston where Hippo was for sale, If you want to look at Helterskelter you are more than welcome to, I will be at the Trailboat festival with her at Crooklands near Kendal from Tues next week for a week. Also Hippo has gone through a number of owners over the last few years, we I managed to fix one of them up with a hitch so i'm wondering where that's gone, it may be worth checking previous owners to find out where its gone. I'm pretty sure you can get the suspension units from Peak Trailers in Warwickshire and that's where Stuart got them, Phil is also right about the in board engine and jet unit, it was useless and was the reason only 64 boats were ever made.
Best of luck with the job, and please keep us updated .
Neil..

Tim

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 10:05:34 PM »
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the offers of help and information. Hippo's going to be a labour of love but I'd like to return the hull to as near original as possible whilst making an interior that suits me.
I've had a number of Bedford CA Dormobiles over the years and Am going to use some of their space saving ideas plus some of my own from restoring the Berkeley.
I live in York and Hippo is still in Preston, so perhaps I could visit Helterskelter with a chap who I hope will help with the fibreglass.
I'll keep you all informed when we start- at the moment I'm focussed on restoring a Land Rover Dormobile which will be Hippo's tow vehicle.
Be well, have fun.
Tim

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 10:25:32 PM »
Hi Tim.
you are welcome to have a look at Helterskelter anytime you like, just pm me, the experience you have of restoring classic vehicles it should really help..
Bye for now,
Neil..

Stuart Kimber

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 08:13:49 PM »
Hi Tim (and all),

This sounds great. I always wanted a Landrover Carawagon to tow my Caraboat but one didn't come up and the right time at the right price, so I tow mine with an Amercan Dodge day van.
Look forward to hearing progress reports.
STUART