Author Topic: Caraboat on Ebay  (Read 7360 times)

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
Caraboat on Ebay
« on: February 11, 2016, 07:52:07 PM »
Hi,Caraboat for sale on Ebay in Atherstone.
eBay item number:
 Looks fairly complete and in reasonable shape.Can`t see a name on it,but I don`t recognize it as one I`ve seen before.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 07:20:29 AM by phil riley »

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
Re: Caraboat on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 08:23:09 PM »
Thanks for putting that up Phil, I don,t recognise it either, hope the new owner gets on here,
Neil..

michael-griffin

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 12:01:58 AM »
Phil you must be psychic, I went to have a look at this Caraboat on Friday, as it is on my doorstep, the seller is a really nice chap and was very helpful  the hull and superstructure are in very reasonable condition only missing the 4 stands, the wheel spats and one seat / gas locker covers however the inside is quite poor, and not original, it has lost its wardrobe, and the hob has been moved to the other side, there are as you would expect signs of water ingress  around the windows and along the roof line, also where the axle / sub frame crosses the floor there is a step which I have never seen before, I could not see the axle, but there was clearance between the hull and the tyres.   If it was mine I would be stripping it out and starting again, for which the hull and running gear would be an ideal and interesting project, but you would need to look before you buy.     
 The build number is 22 in 1973 (73/22).
I canít believe the outboard has enough power at only 4.5hp.
Had the interior been original I would have been interested to use as a template for the one I have (if I ever get it back from my daughter) as I donít think there are any still in use now Victorís old Caraboat has been stripped.
I think the chap that previously owned it may have been a member of the club as this was his second Caraboat, when I purchased my first one he (thanks John) allowed me  to copy the drawbar/tow hitch, John also lives not too far from Atherstone.
best wishes
Mick G

michael-griffin

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 12:24:12 AM »
I should add this is my opinion and not that of any other member or the club.
best wishes
Mick G

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 07:00:36 PM »
Hi Mick,it certainly looks like a good project.I hope it goes to a good home and that the new owner will get in touch with us.Cheers,Phil.

michael-griffin

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 07:27:54 PM »
Hi Phil, already had one chap (Lee) email asking for advice he is very keen to get a Caraboat (could even be this one), gave him advice about joining the club so we can all chip in and give help and advice  :)

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 10:36:37 PM »
Thanks for the info Mick, looking at the pics it has a fire extinguisher and blanket which suggests its had a BSC.
so looks a good project boat for someone
Neil..

michael-griffin

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 08:40:38 PM »
WOW it just made £1420  8)

michael-griffin

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 06:05:42 PM »
Hi to all you buyers, its back on EBAY so I was wrong it didn't make £1450 its now a starting bid of £1000

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unusual-caravan-boat-caraboat-water-land-/311558568231?hash=item488a567927:g:ktIAAOSwvgdW1xXe

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 05:21:46 PM »
Sadly,it`s disappeared again.Hopefully somebody`s bought it outside of  Ebay and will come on here to ask about it.

Steve

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 02:51:40 PM »
Hi.
We bought the caraboat from Atherstone, its chassis and hull seem just fine,but the water ingress and standing water have done for the floor.The fit out was pretty rough to be honest anyway!
I really need a port side locker lid, is there anwhere I could find one?
Thanks!
I.ll post some pics when i.ve pulled it apart and cleaned up ready to rebuild
Cheers.
Steve.

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 03:37:40 PM »
Hi,Steve,I really hope you enjoy your rebuild as much as I did.I`m only up the road in Stoke-on-Trent,so if you would like to come and have a look for ideas and such,you`ll be very welcome.As far as a locker lid is concerned,I don`t know of any available,but it might be possible to take a mould from one of mine if you`re really desperate.Please feel free to ask anything you need to know,and between us here on the forum,hopefully,we can figure it out for you.Cheers,Phil Riley (Caraboat Mr Towed).

Steve

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 04:04:27 PM »
Thats great.
Thanks Phil.we are over that way soon as have family in Stafford.
Be in touch then to see if your'e about, it'd be good to see its insides!
Cheers.Steve.

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 04:10:00 PM »
Look forward to seeing you.Phil.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 10:11:10 PM »
Hi Steve,
Welcome to the forum, and great news that another boat may be being restored,sorry I don't think the lids are available anywhere you will have to make one I think. If you have the other side you could use that as a pattern, If you lay up some GRP on some sheet steel a good 6mm thick then mark round it with your other lid, cut it out then glass on a lip the other side to the one you have should do it. Phil is good with the old GRP as well.. It would be great to see some pics of your progress and as Phil says If we can help at all just let us know.
All the best.
Neil..