Author Topic: Frog Prince on Ebay  (Read 433 times)

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
Frog Prince on Ebay
« on: July 31, 2017, 12:10:42 PM »
Hi,just seen the Frog Prince is on Ebay for sale.I hope it finds an enthusiastic new owner who will keep us up to speed with their progress.(I must admit to being a bit tempted myself!)

michael-griffin

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
Re: Frog Prince on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 12:59:27 PM »
I know how you feel Phil, I had Two if you remember which I had to sell and regretted it immediately then spent years trying to find another, the withdrawal symptoms were agony, but we are here for you if you need to talk about it lol    ;D

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 01:30:55 PM »
Cheers Mick,I think I may need a therapist!!!

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 04:19:08 PM »
Just looked and it`s sold for 600 according to Ebay.Just hope it gets recommissioned properly and we get to know where it is.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 10:45:34 PM »
I Think That's a reasonable price to pay for a solid looking Hull, a good starting point for someone,
I too hope they get in touch and keep us up to date with their progress, and its not another boat that disappears..

BMFrogPrince

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 01:08:13 PM »
Dear Neil, Phil and Mick

As the new owners of the Frog Prince me and Michelle are delighted to make contact with you all, I have a long list of questions for you! It was great to chat to you Mick, hope you didn't mind me taking up an hour of your Bank Holiday Monday.

As mentioned I am also West Country rep for the RCC and there was enormous excitement when I broke it to them that I was the mystery purchaser of Frog Prince- 193 comments (so far) on my post to them (we have a closed Facebook group, not really my thing but it's the only option). Sadly no one can help with anything technical.

First of all, wheels and running gear. I need to get new suspension units, sadly what I have is incomplete and too far gone. Transit wheels and hydraulic brakes have been mentioned? I've found Indespension units which look similar but will need cable brakes, not too sure about that.

Look forward to your reply

Ben Spokes

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 11:52:20 PM »
Hi Ben,
Welcome to the Caraboat forum and well done on purchasing Frog Prince. I agree you need to sort the frame and running gear first. mine is on the original units and wheels, though Phil upgraded Mr Towed to hydraulic brakes and transit wheels, I'm sure he will advise on this soon. Stuart K got new units for the African Queen from Peak trailers now Dynamics +44 (0)1789 778 041enquiries@peakdynamics.co.uk
Also Stuart M has upgraded Mirage to Hydraulic brakes too,
keep in touch,
Neil..

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 09:22:31 AM »
Hi Ben,good to know that the Frog Prince has an enthusiastic new owner.As Neil says,I upgraded Mr Towed`s brakes and wheels,but I had to make my own axles.I`ve given Mick the phone number of Sarah Jones (the new owner of Mr Towed) with her permission to forward it to you,so that you can talk to her about it,as I passed all my sketches and info on with the boat.Hope you have fun.Regards Phil & Dawn.

BMFrogPrince

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »
Phil - Good to hear from both of you, yes I'm keen to look into this hydraulic brake idea and transit wheels - an idea about what type the brakes are, I'm assuming 14inch Transit wheels?  How do you do the coupling to the hitch?

Neil - saw the pics of you at the Wilderness event on the Stroudwater canal, that looked great.  Do the Wilderness Club welcome Caraboat owners, I'm intrigued?  That canal is about 10 miles from us, is there a permanent slipway on it? Do you know of any other Caraboats in Gloucestershire area?

Told you I had a list of questions! 

Thanks

Ben

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 08:34:40 AM »
Hi Ben,give me a call and I`ll try to answer as many of your questions as I can.I`ve sent you a PM with my number.Cheers,Phil.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:36:12 AM by phil riley »

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 11:36:35 PM »
Hi Ben.
When we were on the Stroudwater it was for the 2012 Trailboat festival which is a festival to highlight a canal restoration somewhere in the country each year we have been to the last 11 i think. All sorts of trail boats attend though the most common is the Wilderness and we have made good friends with a lot of the owners who are all great, and we have done some cruising along with a couple of them after the festivals were over.
When we got there the restoration hadn't reached the slipway installed so we had to use a temporary one, though I'm sure it will be available now 5 years later. I'm sure the Cotswolds Canal trust would love you to sail on there, if you contact them they will let you know who to contact about the Slipway.  I guess Sarah the new owner of Mr Towed would be the nearest boat to you in the Newbury area unless someone knows better.
great to hear from you.
Neil..