Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 201 times)

Sarah Jones

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
Insurance
« on: September 08, 2017, 10:35:41 PM »
Can I have advice please on good insurance when towing- bit confused by what I'm reading on websites. I'm insured to tow but can't claim if someone drives into me!!
Thanks
Sarah

michael-griffin

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:27:29 PM »
If I’m reading this correctly you are only covered 3rd party when towing, and if you are hit by another road user you have to claim from them, this is normal practise as the insurance company have no Idea what you are going to  be towing or its value, for instance I tow 9 different trailers and items of plant + a caravan and a Caraboat.
What about you Phil and Neil ?
best wishes
Mick G

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 08:57:53 AM »
Hi Mick and Sarah,yes, I think that is the normal situation.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 07:57:11 PM »
Hi All,
Being Motor trade I have a trade policy which only covers my own vehicles 3rd party, so I have always been prepared to take the risk when towing and sailing Helterskelter,
hope this helps.

Sarah Jones

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 08:46:16 PM »
Thanks everyone. Wasn't sure if I needed extra caravan insurance as well. I'm insured to tow with the car so that seems sufficient.
Going for first launch on Saturday- found a slipway at Greenham Island in Newbury on the Kennet and Avon so will post pics as soon as I can-absolutely can't wait!!!!
Cheers
Sarah

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 09:19:42 PM »
Great stuff Sarah,enjoy yourselves.Hope the weather holds for you.

michael-griffin

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 11:07:16 PM »
I didn't know you were in the "trade" Neil, have done a few years myself  :)

BMFrogPrince

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 08:19:13 AM »
Sarah - best wishes with the launch on Saturday, make sure you get some pictures, maybe even video?

Mick, Neil, Phil - this has got me thinking about boat insurance, what did you all do about that? When do you get challenged to provide evidence? Any recommendation on policy providers?

I would like to launch in Bristol Harbour for example (which is the furthest west you can go on the Kennet and Avon, the slipway is only a few hundred yards from the tidal lock into the extremely scary River Avon/Severn).  I seem to remember that you either show evidence of your own insurance to the harbour master, or pay them an extra £10 for their day insurance.  Maybe some day next year I'll get a picture of a Caraboat in front of the SS Great Britain!

michael-griffin

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 12:32:14 PM »
In our club boats have to be insured at all times (club rule) even when stored on the hard standing, for the Caraboat I use “the basic boat insurance” its 3rd party only but requires no survey, it cost about £70, is it worth the extra cost of  “fully comprehensive” as most of us have restored the Caraboat to our own specification and would be doing any necessary repairs ourselves.
It can also include “coastal waters”. 

link

https://www.basic-boat.com/index.php

best wishes
Mick G

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 09:22:57 PM »
Hi Sarah,
Good luck with your launch on Saturday, we would all love to see some pics of your trip and have a wonderful time, we are launching on the Lancaster for a week on Sunday.
On the insurance I did try and get comp insurance with a few companies when I first got Helterskelter going but they all declined to insure her, which annoyed me a little as I had been with one of them for years with my previous boats, so I have been with basic boat liability co which covers you for everything apart from your own boat for ten years now. You need to show Insurance when applying for a CRT canal licence or EA a bit like when you tax your car so you will need it. The other thing I made sure I have is having Caravan cover on my brake down cover with the AA in case I brake down on the tow to or from a slipway.
Yes Mick 40 years spannering next year 30 working for myself.

michael-griffin

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 10:07:32 PM »
Hi Neil, sent a pm

Sarah Jones

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 08:11:42 PM »
Thanks Neil- really good advise! They don't make it easy do they!!
Bit nervous about the whole slipway routine but keep watching the filming we did of Phil and hope to be as slick!
What could possibly go wrong?????? 

Stop chuckling everybody!!!!!!!!