Author Topic: Pike Lock Boat  (Read 965 times)

Caracruising

• Free User
    • View Profile
Pike Lock Boat
« on: April 02, 2018, 07:20:57 PM »
Hi all,

My name is Daniel and, along with my father, we've been taking trips on our Caracruiser almost every year since 2001 when we renovated it somewhat. Every year we repair or add some things, sometimes having to do so while on holiday! Dad's heavily involved in the restoration of the Cotswold Canals.

I believe some of you have already seen our boat at Stroud on Water as Neil M was there with his Caraboat I believe. If you're interested in seeing some of the progress since then check out my videos on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS6qP2Qbb2c&index=1&list=PLclUtFTNQ4VxX8_9noCy1m2O9YrieDM8L). On 3 different boats I now have film from Pike Lock all the way up to Griffin's Mill Lock. Currently there are 5 extra navigable locks and you can now access the Stroudwater canal from the permanent slipway. The most recent section was officially opened by HRH The Prince of Wales and we were present up at Wallbridge with the Caracruiser. The editor of Waterways World was there and took a few photos as he was planning on doing a piece on Caraboats. I don't know if he's spoken to any of you guys or not yet?

I think our Caracruiser is pretty much in the same layout as it was originally. Since 2001 we've been running Mariner 4hp 4 stroke outboards, though we upgraded to a long-shaft when the 2001 engine started taking on water in the oil. Some other notable changes include creating plastic replacements for the wooden seats at back, replacing a window, replacing a wooden rubbing strake with HDPE and adding a volt meter with USB sockets in place of the radio that never worked. She's not in the best condition (having a car fire next to the hull didn't help) but she certainly gets a decent amount of use and we both enjoy taking a week or so trip most years.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 07:54:49 PM by Caracruising »
Pike Lock Boat
@Caracruising Facebook/Twitter

michael-griffin

• Free User
    • View Profile
Re: Pike Lock Boat
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 12:49:45 PM »
Welcome Daniel, its lovely to have a new member that “ticks all the boxes” eg has a boat, makes good use of the boat and hopefully contributes to the forum.
Had a look at your “youtube” video’s they are excellent well done do you have a full list ?, “by Timothy” you don’t half move with only a 4hp engine lol.
Where are you based ? area, not full address.
Best Wishes
Mick G   

Caracruising

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 10:04:40 AM »
Welcome Daniel, its lovely to have a new member that “ticks all the boxes” eg has a boat, makes good use of the boat and hopefully contributes to the forum.
Had a look at your “youtube” video’s they are excellent well done do you have a full list ?, “by Timothy” you don’t half move with only a 4hp engine lol.
Where are you based ? area, not full address.
Best Wishes
Mick G   
The wonders of x8 play speed! On that topic though, I don't know why anyone would put a larger engine a Caracruiser. We've done the Severn and Thames with no issues and, as used predominantly on canals, you'd just be wasting fuel anyway having something larger. Especially as they seem to have designed the thing with a bulge in the hull just where you want your water flow to be! Any time trying to get over about 6mph and you just end up creating vortexes and going no faster. I'm surprised how often we see 30-50hp engines on the back of cabin cruisers that are under 30ft!

The boat sits on the driveway at my parent's place. I think the name of the boat somewhat gives away it's location anyway, so just giving you a rough idea of where would mean I might as well tell you. We're based near Jnc 13 of the M5 next to the Stroudwater Navigation.

My playlists are here: https://www.youtube.com/user/danielburgin28/playlists. Some videos appear in more than one playlist. I'm currently in the middle of editing and uploading videos from last year's trip on the Caracruiser where we did the Leicester ring. Day 1 is up in pretty much it's entirety and I'm starting work on Day 2. It was a pretty epic trip where we launched near the Welford Branch, went up the Grand Union Leicester Section, including the Market Harborough Branch, continued up through Leicester, did the Erewash Canal, then took the Trent & Mersey, Birmingham & Fazeley, Coventry Canal, Oxford Canal and Main Line back round to where we started.

There are also a couple of videos on there from London in 2016. That was pretty fun as there were loads of people around taking photos as it is a rare and interesting boat. Some guy even accused me of stealing his boat because he'd never seen another one before! He'd just sold his to someone for a couple of hundred quid so he had quite an interesting look on his face when I said I'd seen Nik Nak for sale for over £7k  not that long previously.
Pike Lock Boat

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 12:56:08 AM »
Hi Daniel.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for putting up your great videos, Great to see one being used.  I remember well coming to the Stroudwater canal and seeing your Caracruiser and have been hoping there maybe another Trailboat festival there to see the progress since. Maybe we could organize a meet up on the Stroudwater sometime of Caraboats and Caracruisers I'm sure the CCT would be up happy to have us.
Keep in touch.
Neil..

DSCF5115 by Neil Mcgarry, on Flickr

Caracruising

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 08:44:54 AM »
Hi Daniel.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for putting up your great videos, Great to see one being used.  I remember well coming to the Stroudwater canal and seeing your Caracruiser and have been hoping there maybe another Trailboat festival there to see the progress since. Maybe we could organize a meet up on the Stroudwater sometime of Caraboats and Caracruisers I'm sure the CCT would be up happy to have us.
Keep in touch.
Neil..
Dad's the Chief Exec so I should be able to grab you someone to contact if/when you need it. He did actually mention it yesterday.

They're about a month from hearing about getting funding for phase 1b, the link to the main network.
Pike Lock Boat

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 12:54:09 AM »
Hi Daniel.
We also have a lottery bid in on the top end of the Lancaster to repair an Aquaduct that was badly damaged in the storms of 2015, lets hope they have positive outcomes,

michael-griffin

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 06:31:31 PM »
Hi Daniel, I have question for your Dad please, in the late 1970’s early 1980’s the Ashby Canal Association sold to Banbury IWA two small trip boats, they were then sold to the Cotswold trust (I think).
When I looked at your youtube videos I saw one of them (the motor) being used as a work boat, how did it end up still being used over 30 years later and what happened to the short unpowered boat ?.
The photo is the motor being retrieved up the original slipway at Snarestone which as you can see was far too steep, the trailer is virtually invisible although you can just make out the front corner of the trailer and the 4ft upright guide sticking up at the rear of the boat.   

PICT0045 by mick griffin, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 11:24:47 PM by michael-griffin »

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 09:43:38 PM »
Hi Daniel, I have question for your Dad please, in the late 1970’s early 1980’s the Ashby Canal Association sold to Banbury IWA two small trip boats, they were then sold to the Cotswold trust (I think).
When I looked at your youtube videos I saw one of them (the motor) being used as a work boat, how did it end up still being used over 30 years later and what happened to the short unpowered boat ?.
The photo is the motor being retrieved up the original slipway at Snarestone which as you can see was far too steep, the trailer is virtually invisible although you can just make out the front corner of the trailer and the 4ft upright guide sticking up at the rear of the boat.   

][url=https://flic.kr/p/24wjKGF][/url] by mick griffin, on Flickr[/url]

sorry two photo's what am I doing wrong Neil ???????

I Guess you must have pasted it Twice Mick, you can preview your post before you post to check..

michael-griffin

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 11:26:45 PM »
thanks Neil, your correct I was posting as a hyperlink  :)

Caracruising

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 12:32:22 PM »
I remember these being used outside Pike Lock (when I was younger and lived there with my parents still) as trip boats during the early 90s, both with outboards. I'll have to ask him exactly what they got up to since then.
Pike Lock Boat

michael-griffin

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 06:08:47 PM »
Thanks Daniel, I would love to hear about their history in the trusts hands.
Sarah Jones (Mr towed)  is based in Newbury and Ben & Michelle Spokes (Frog Prince) are in Gloucestershire area both not too far from you.
I know Ben is West Country rep for the Retro Caravan Club and is keen to organise a joint get together when he finds a site with a slipway etc.
I’m hoping many of you will come to the midlands to the Moira Canal Festival (good slipway) so we can all meet in person.

Caracruising

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 08:21:48 PM »
He says the other hasn't survived, but was being used as a work boat at the eastern end.
Pike Lock Boat