Author Topic: Leakage  (Read 664 times)

Sarah Jones

Leakage
« on: April 05, 2018, 11:46:52 PM »
Hi
I took the winter cover off and to my dismay was overwhelmed by a damp smell. I found mould in the front cupboard to the right of the steering wheel. I think I have traced it up to a front window seal. So please could I have some advice about re-sealing?? Never done it before!
I didn't use a cover during the rain last year and didn't have a problem but I have read that some people think caravan covers are awful.
Anyway I'd like to fix it ASAP so would welcome any tips please
Thanks
Sarah

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
Re: Leakage
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 08:43:38 AM »
Hi Sarah,are you sure it`s leaking and not condensation running down?When I had mine covered in the winter I always left the windows half open underneath to allow air circulation. Otherwise it can sweat.

Sarah Jones

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 05:54:35 PM »
Hi Phil
Long time no hear! Hope you're  both well. I could be wrong but it seemed to be right under the old TV Ariel. I suppose it could be a lot of damp. It just seemed a lot of damp. I didn't have the windows open through the winter! Epic fail! It's been sunny here so have had all the doors and windows open to dry it out. Next time it rains I'll monitor and see what happens. The sealant inside the cupboard is a bit flakey so maybe it's time to reseal?
 I'm loving having the Caraboat Phill and have recently done some filming with Ben Who has Frog Prince for Channel Four. It's a show called Homes that Float so will post when it's on. Two Caraboat's in Bristol marina beside SS Great Britain turned a few heads!
Anyway will monitor the damp...whilst I've got you here Phil any ideas why the gear lever may have tightened up? Just seemed less smooth when I pushed it forward? It's not a huge one but just wondered.
Thanks
Sarah

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 06:51:58 PM »
Gear lever stiffness could be that the mechanism needs a drop of grease,or possibly where the cable is fixed to the outboard has got slightly kinked (happened to me once).Never had any trouble with damp ingress in 14 years,but I suppose nothing lasts for ever and maybe some of the sealant has aged.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 09:33:09 PM »
Hi Sarah.
You mention mould and damp so I would think this as a ventilation problem rather than a leak, especially as you had the cover on. On the gears you may find it better when the engine is running as the dog gears need to be turning to engage properly sometimes or was it stiff when you were running in Bristol.
Bye for now,
Neil..

Tom Bradley1

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 05:54:22 PM »
I had a persistent leak on the front aluminium quadrants on Little Sue II some
15 years ago. 3mm bolts through the window frame & the quadrant tightened down onto polyurethane mastic seamed to fix it but I added a gutter below the window just to be sure. The gutters drained onto the gunwale. Drain holes were drilled in the gunwale and a silicone bead made the top of the gunwale a gutter.

There is even a page dedicated to leaks on my website which had disappeared but recently reappeared  although it now it has some very annoying adverts.
http://www.geocities.ws/littlesue2323/leaks.html

I also added a cover http://www.geocities.ws/littlesue2323/cover.html

Tom

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 08:48:50 PM »
Great to hear from you Tom, and I wish we knew where Little Sue is now, maybe one day the owner will get in touch,
All the best,
Neil..