Author Topic: Frog Prince on TV - My Floating Home, More4, Tuesday 22 May 9PM  (Read 210 times)

BMFrogPrince

• Free User
    • View Profile
The restoration of the Frog Prince has been filmed throughout, from November 2017 through to the launch in March 2018.  This was done by a camera crew from Windfall Films, on behalf of Channel 4, who are showing it as part of a series called My Floating Home (already started, 3 episodes so far) on More 4 in the UK, and on FYI channel in the USA.  You can see the Caraboat in the episode to be aired on Tuesday 22 May at 9PM on More4 and then on the All4 catchup service on-line after that.  I have attached a few pictures, but of course we don't get to see any of the footage until everybody else does, when it first broadcasts - we only have some idea of what it will be like.  They filmed the installation of the new chassis, fibre-glass repairs, re-fitting the interior, boat safety inspection and finally the journey through Bristol to the first launch in Bristol Harbour. 

The first launch day we were also joined by Sarah Jones and Mr Towed, so we had 2 Caraboats together being filmed for TV, which must be quite rare.  Then we decided to have a little race up and down the harbour, with a chance to do a few ‘doughnuts’ to show off.

We plan to do a lot more restoration and will probably re-arrange the interior layout, but we had to accelerate the work to get it ready for this program so it's not exactly how we want it.  It has also been on its first Retro Caravan Club rally, on a campsite in Newent - sadly not at the original site we had planned, on the banks of the River Severn at Tewkesbury (good slipway for Caraboat launches) since it was flooded and no other caravans could get there!

The (genuine) first re-launch of Frog Prince into Bristol Harbour, March 2018

Untitled by Ben Spokes, on Flickr

Frog Prince and Mr Towed meet on the dockside, Bristol Harbour, March 2018

Motoring past the SS Great Britain, Bristol Harbour

MR Towed being launched

First Retro Caravan Club rally, Newent - May 2018 - we should have been at a site in Tewkesbury (with slipway into River Severn) but that weekend it was flooded (!!)

The interior refit in December 2017

Chassis installation day, November 2017 - first time back on its wheels in 20 years!  All filmed by the TV crew

The new chassis, prior to galvanising, October 2017

Frog Prince at the first interview, up on blocks since the journey down from Carnforth

Carnforth August 2017 - ready to travel down to Gloucestershire

Coming out of the Lancaster canal at Carnforth

Frog Prince at the berth on the Lancaster Canal, August 2017

michael-griffin

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
Re: Frog Prince on TV - My Floating Home, More4, Tuesday 22 May 9PM
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 03:31:38 PM »
Hi Ben fantastic photo’s, nice to see a record of the work at all stages, I agree that fitting out is an organic process with lots of changes and modifications I have some photo’s of my first Caraboat which was as original as it came out of the factory I will dig them out and post them, hopefully the filming will flush out some of the “lost” caraboats, nice to see 2 caraboats floating together, how about making it 3 or 4 or more at the Moira Canal Festival, it’s only a few miles from the M42 Burton on Trent Junction, good slipway plenty of activities.
Best Wishes
Mick G

BMFrogPrince

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 03:57:48 PM »
Mick
I'd love to come to the Moira Canal festival but I am abroad for work.  I'd be very interested to see pics of the original interior, one of the points we made on the program is that we had a plan for the interior layout but no idea of what it looked like. 

By the way, the producer of My Floating Home (which is mostly about big expensive house boats and barge conversions) said the Caraboat episode is her favourite, it has also been called the 'wild card' of the series, so we are waiting with more than a few nerves to see what it's like!  Great that it includes Sarah as well, we did 2 joint filming sessions with her and Mr Towed, at her home and at Bristol Harbour.

Thanks

Ben

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 09:53:47 PM »
Hi Ben.
Fantastic work you have done, and in such a short space of time too, you will improve things as you go along when you see what works  and what doesn't, I see you have the original wind up Jockey wheel too which is cool.
Can't wait to see the program and hope we can get our boats together sometime
All the Best,
Neil and Bev,,

Sarah Jones

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 12:22:54 AM »
Hi Ben
Brilliant photos!!! I can't wait to see the TV programme- I stood behind groups of people in Bristol listening to them talk about the Caraboats- very funny- I will never get over how much joy a Caraboat brings people. Highlight was 'racing' along the marina at 4mph!!
Had a hard few months but ready now for the new season so hopefully see you at a Retro Caravan meeting soon.
I'm away for the waterways festival Mick but wish you a really good weekend.
I agree that this is the year to get ALL our Caraboat's together somewhere- count me in!
Cheers
Sarah

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 01:37:05 PM »
Just a heads up,this is on TONIGHT on More4 at 2100.Don`t miss it.

victor herbert Harding

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 01:14:40 AM »
Hi BEN good work with Frog Prince lovely pictures t v show very good ,the caraboat idea is getting good tv coverage with Neil , you and me with mirage ,you will have a great time with the caraboat i had 28 years doing all over and great fun regards Vic.