Author Topic: Holes???  (Read 301 times)

Sarah Jones

Holes???
« on: August 02, 2018, 01:14:51 PM »
Hi all,
There are two holes in the front deck- can anyone please remind me what they are for and is there any reason I shouldn't stopper them up? With four people on board I'm getting water on this deck ( when we're near the front. I've found that weight distribution helps when we're travelling) it does go away but do I need the holes? There is a bit of water in the front compartment under this floor so obviously it's leaking through- I'm tempted to try to find a way to waterproof them so this can't happen again.
Any suggestions  gratefully received.
Thanks
Sarah

phil riley

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
Re: Holes???
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 03:28:12 PM »
Sarah the holes are to allow rainwater to drain out of the well deck.If you block them up ,then rain will fill up the front `till it overflows into the cabin.The best idea is to try to re-distribute the load in the boat towards the rear.We had a similar problem when we had 4 on board and the easy answer was to get one of us at least to sit further back.In fact,Dawn ended up sitting (quite comfortably according to her)on the rear step.

michael-griffin

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 08:29:27 PM »
Hi Mine has "non-return" valves fitted so that the rain water can flow out when the external skin fitting are above water and prevent any canal or river water flowing in, but they are pretty useless as there is not enough back pressure to seal them.
You could install a pair of "stopcocks" or inline taps, but you would need to remeber to leave them open when not in use (4 people on board) I have seen the front well decks of many types of boats get flooded from leaky lock gates, which is why the BSS regs require self draining decks to be compleately clear of the water where possible.
I will see if I can find a Photo of the non return fitted to mine.
best wishes
Mick G
(anti-Facebook) 

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 08:49:03 PM »
Hi Sarah.
Helterskelter only has one drain in the well deck, and some do have non return valves fitted so this was a known problem, John Nelson told me that his boat which was a MK 1 had a lower well deck and he used to use a plug in the hole to stop the water coming up when sailing. Helterskelter also gets water coming into the gas lockers if I have four people on sometimes.
hope this helps.

michael-griffin

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 02:49:54 PM »
As promised, somewhat belated,  a photo of the non-return valve in my Caraboat, note the hose clips have rusted away, they have now been replaced with stainless steel ones.
best wishes
Mick griffin

DSCF0054 by mick griffin, on Flickr

Sarah Jones

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 11:52:28 PM »
Thanks Mick. Iíll do some learning about these - put my hand into the lower deck
K space and couldnít see but could feel something had come loose under the deck hole so Iíll tighten that and see if that helps on the water,!! All a massive learning curve but very enjoyable%!
Cheers
Sarah