Author Topic: Creighton Gull owner looking for info  (Read 7823 times)

Don

• Free User
    • View Profile
Creighton Gull owner looking for info
« on: January 24, 2006, 07:09:05 AM »
Hello!  I have been a member of this fine organization for over 5 minutes now! I am the owner of a Creighton Gull. I have been unable to find any info on this craft as of yet, and hope that someone here can enlighten me!
My boat is in pretty good condition overall. I bought it here in Indiana from a guy in his 80's who used to use it to go hunting in Canada each year. It had the original curtains and cushion covers, however they were badly dry-rotted. I know they were the originals because they match those in the pictures in the brochure that I happened to find in the cabin.
Somewhere along the line the previous owner gave up hunting or something, and parked the boat in his back yard, where it ended up a playhouse, or a pirate ship, for the little kids in his family. When I got it, it had alot of stickers all over the inside, a few broken toys, etc. (evidence of the last users). I towed it home, it towed fine. It doesn't have an outboard motor yet, but I dropped it into the water anyway just to make sure it floated. It did! As I sat there on the pier, holding the boat away with my legs, at least a dozen people came over to take a look. I think alot of them thought I was trying to sink my camper! The boat's title had been lost at some point, so I had to re-title it. With no information available, I guessed at the year as being around 1965. I am seeking any information on this boat, as I have none! I do have the brochure, which I will scan and attach as soon as I can. I can also download pictures of it sitting in my backyard. Another thing I need to get is a 50mm hitchball.
The U.S. choices are 1 7/8", which is a bit to small, or, 2", which is a bit to large. I plan on beginning the work it may need this summer. I will most likely rely on your expertise for some of the stuff. (Thanks in advance!)
Sincerely,
Don

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 11:17:29 PM »
Hi Don, sorry i don't know much about your boat though i did once own a creighton 20', the best person to speak to would probably be John on 01912 666092, i think ive seen one on the lancaster canal i will try and get a picture of it when i see it again. if you are lucky enough to have the original brochure it would be great if you could put it on the site.
I was told they were made in wigan near manchester, i do see alot of the larger 28's which were a centre cockpit boat they were really well built as was my 20' sadly mine was stolen and set on fire in 2003 on the bridgewater canal when working my way to the llangollen canal, :cry:  itwas completley burn't out but still refused to sink the next day the owner of the marina where i had moored it towed it back and left it on the slipway till it could be brocken up. that was one reason why i was atracted to the caraboat as you don't have to leave it around if you want to explore further afield. hopefully where youare you don't have the mindless vandals we have in some places here.  happy cruising neil m.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 01:38:46 PM »
Hi Don,
Went out on the canal yesterday with my son Ben, in his dinghy, as its half term hols, we came across the boat i thought might be a creighton gull. its in a bit of a state and towpath moored which is usually a periless state, i don't know who the owner is, hope it doesn't end up a wreck. it does bear the name creighton, and some of the mouldings remind me of ones on my 20' here a two pics ben took with his mobile as i hadn't got my camera with me.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 01:39:57 PM »
heres the other pic.

neil m

• Premium Supporter
  • Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 02:08:05 PM »
Hi Don
you told me you were after a 50mm tow ball, do any in the picture look like what you need..      
from Neil..

yeomalt

• Free User
    • View Profile
Re: Creighton Gull owner looking for info
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 02:10:24 AM »
Don, I have to see it (if possible).  I'll be in Indiana/Michigan next month.  You can email me at little_33@msn.com.  Chris