Author Topic: Caracruiser  (Read 9979 times)

Limey

• Free User
    • View Profile
Caracruiser
« on: February 10, 2006, 04:12:39 PM »
Hi All,

I bought my wonderful caracruiser, hit my head on the roof and scared to death of its floating ability when my twenty-one stone climbs aboard. Does anyone know its ability to support us heavy-weights, I was hoping to take it on the Thames, non tidal of course. Its interior is still somewhat of a mystery as I had no instructions on the bed. What is the bed arrangement? I don't even know if I have the full compliment of cussions and bed supporting equipment. I had no motor, what is the right size, putting a 9.9hp to have an electric start looks rather dodgy. I was thinking of a 5hp 4 stroke but sacrificing electric start sadly! Twenty-one stone rushing to its rear must be somewhat unstable!

If anyone could please assist me in my many question I would appreciate it.

Rob

chirikla

CaraCruiser
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 02:40:23 PM »
I think you will be OK with a 9.9 electric start, That's what I had on the one I had. Don't know about the 21 stone allthough I don't think it would be a problem. CaraCruisers do roll about a bit as you move about. The one I had had 5 cushions up front-2 on the front lockers and three to make the front bed. There were 2 long cushions to make up the side bed and this pulled out to make a double. I found that when this bed was made it was difficult to get into the toilet compartment. Hope this helps.
I sold mine some time ago due to Ill health but when I did my married son complained that had he known I was selling it he would have had it. I promised to look out for another one for him so if you come across one for sale would you please Email me on chirikla@aol.com and get me out of his bad books.
Many Thanks. chirikla, AKA Tom

Roger

• Free User
    • View Profile
    • http://forum.dawncraftowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=957
Caracruiser
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 08:58:15 PM »
Hi Rob

Caracruisers are more than capable of taking the weight, I've had 6 adults on board no problem.

Mine runs 9.9 Honda (not electric start  :cry: ).

I have never seen two Caracruisers the same when it comes to interiour, I have scrapped mine as it was rotten and for me there was too much of it.
The standard fitting on all of them seems to be that the port side couch turns into a bed simply by pulling it out (its on three wooden runners), folding down the back and putting the mattress back.

See pics of mine at:  http://community.webshots.com/album/429107839Wkbdnd

Roger

Limey

• Free User
    • View Profile
Repairs
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 03:28:29 AM »
Hi Gents,

Thanks for your relies, hope you don't mind more questions, do they have short shaft or long shaft outboards. Would a 5hp have enough power to move it around as I may not be able to lift a 9hp now. We have a dawncraft 22 but found the travelling time to the Midlands a little to long and we would wish a little more time to enjoy ourselves, this is where the caracruiser comes into its own, I hope!

Roger, I saw you photo's of your reconstruction and was very suprised that you have scrapped it, is it a common problem I should look at before I attempt refurbishment. We are unsure it will suit our needs but the mobility has been a big draw. Is the Caraboat a better bet as it seems a little larger and may be easier to get into, we are concerned on this one.

We will be trying it out shortly, probably in the sea by my yacht club, well inside the habour and a calm day to chech stability, if we find it to be to unstable we might sell it and keep the dawncraft, long journey and all.

Many Thanks
Rob

Roger

• Free User
    • View Profile
Caracruiser
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 11:53:05 AM »
Hi Rob

The interiour was scrap, badly water damaged and very dated, plus I do not need two beds and a big kitchen.
Which version have you got? can we see a pic?
My worry for you would be if it has the same "wings" and extended roof as mine, as I have had to do major surgery to allow us to get in and out.
The original design called for a sail drive unit, thats what the round, blanked off, hole was for, but it left the boat unable to be towed.
If it had been there you could have got on and off by stern mooring.
We have always, with both Caracruisers, found them totally stable(they are very heavy) the damn wake boarders and skiers prove that every time we come across them
If you missed it the saga continues at:

http://forum.dawncraftowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=957

and why don't you join us on the Dawncraft forum?

www.dawncraftowners.com

Roger

Limey

• Free User
    • View Profile
Photo's
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 04:10:17 PM »
Hi Roger,

I would get photo's on if I knew how to do it, can we post photo's on this site.

I still need to look at what outboard I need, would a 5hp do, I'm disabled so I need a light weight, is it short or long shaft needed. The interior is molded and the front is a lot different than yours, tiny front seat and steering wheel on the left in a molded panel.

My thoughts on getting in is to have a external step fitted on the rear with a handle on the roof, my only concern is can it take twenty-one stone swinging on the rear.

The 56 day rule on boats so you don't need a BSS, does it apply across the country, I can't see how they apply it unless you're on one canal only. How do you find towing it long distance, and launching, have you had any luck getting information and history on the boat.

Many thanks

Rob

Roger

• Free User
    • View Profile
Caracruiser
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 05:51:58 PM »
Hi Rob

First thing is the getting on bussiness, it was with real reluctance that I cut the roof and wings off but there really is no other way, yes I thought about steps but if you look you will see that the hull is double skinned just at the point you would want to mount them, it really has transformed the usability of the boat cutting them off and its not a hard job, only need a tape, a long straight edge, a panel saw and a jig saw.
Plus of course I now have to fill in the gaps and put a gutter on the lip of the roof so you need a bit of DIY skills.

My previous CaraCruiser had no roof at the back and had the steering wheel out there as well, I told you they were all different!

A 5hp should be OK on the canals although is there really such a difference in weight between that and a 10 hp?

I think the 56 day rule is across the canal and river system and at the moment there is no BSS for this size on the Broads.

Here is a pic using Photobucket as the sourse, if it works I will come back and show how.

Roger

Roger

• Free User
    • View Profile
Caracruiser
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 05:58:03 PM »
OK that worked.

So just goto http://www.photobucket.com

sign up and put whatever pics you want in the album, then when you want to put one up here just copy the bottom tag ( the one that says img ) and paste it into your message.

Roger

Limey

• Free User
    • View Profile
Caracruiser
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 10:45:14 PM »
Hi Roger,

Well I got some pics from my old computer, just upgraded so I'm in a mess! I looked and saw provision on site.

Still don't know if long shaft or short? pretty please then I can look on ebay for motor.

Many thanks
Rob

Limey

• Free User
    • View Profile
Caracruiser
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 10:48:48 PM »
Hi Roger,

seems only one at a time!

Limey

• Free User
    • View Profile
photo's
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 11:19:35 PM »
Hi Roger,

One at a time and it seems only low quality!

Nope! will not accept high quaility, hope the two give you an idea of my boat.

I did not understand one of your earlier advice on a sail drive component of the boat, what does that consist of please?

Any info you have would be put to good use!

I shall be having it down in the next weeks depending weather to assess its refurbishment for the summer! This will include recovering all cussions, new curtains, repainting interior and ponder on that small molded front seat on whether I slim into it or more drastic action. Luckily my front window is in good nick and most external in good order. The previous owner repaired the crossmember and refurbed the trailer.

Many thanks

Rob

Limey

• Free User
    • View Profile
Photo's
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 11:28:36 PM »
Hi Roger,

Seems we have very little files sizes with this forum which means from what I can tell is exceeded by the two pics?

Rob

Roger

• Free User
    • View Profile
Caracruiser
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 11:45:31 PM »
Hi Rob

Thats why I use Photobucket!

I saw yours on e-bay, seem to remember you got her for a good price.

All know is that I have been told that the blanked off round hole near the stern was originally to house a sail drive unit as far as I know it was never done, and it would had to have had a different top side.

Looking at the pic of your stern I can see a big problem, you are going to have to plant a piece in to raise your transom hight, if you look again and imagine the water line then your power head would be in the water!

Has this ever been used as a boat? I dont see how with the transom as it is.

Roger

Limey

• Free User
    • View Profile
Sinking feeling
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 11:45:51 AM »
Hi Roger,

No never in the water, but I hope soon!  The water line is I assume following the antifoul which is below the white section and to the rear is a wet area that fills and autodrains. That is why I am at a concerned with short or long shaft, if I raise the transum it must be a long shaft. I am concerned as I could not identify anything missing but only by floating it will I see if there is a problem. Yes it was an excellant price but the interior is shot or missing and considerable effort is required for renovation. I am quite suprised at the low prices for caracruiser, one in January was advertised for ?950 with four stroke engine, one owner from new. I would like to put the outboard on a bracket so we could use the rear area for getting in and out, my Misses is still somewhat wary!

Many thanks

Rob

chirikla

Long Shaft-shortb shaft
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 12:30:30 PM »
Hi Rob
Regard which to-use long or short shaft, I used a long shaft but had to higher the transom but I thought the extra hight above the water level was worth the trouble. Tom