Author Topic: Original Documents  (Read 8820 times)

Limey

• Free User
    • View Profile
Original Documents
« on: March 03, 2006, 05:13:39 PM »
Hi All,

Does anyone have the original user manuals for the caracruiser or manufacturer pictures of how they should be as I would like to see if anything is missing! The interior layout and as people have identified there may have been designed features for engine mounting!

Many thanks

Rob

Roger

• Free User
    • View Profile
    • http://forum.dawncraftowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=957
Original Documents
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 04:14:33 PM »
Hi Rob

Please let me know if you do, so far I have drawn a blank.

I have been told they were built in Norfolk but again I can find no trace, I posed the question on the Norfolk Broads forum but still nothing, I contacted a firm up in the Midlands who were shown as dealers in an old boating mag but they never bothered to reply.

As far as interiors are concerned I have never seen two the same, I suspect you could either buy the bare shell and fit it out yourself or buy it ready fitted.

My previous Caracruiser (Beer Goggles) was, I am sure, a factory job, this had a fibre glass moulded interior including the water tank in the prow on the starboard side and a floor, and it also had no roof at the stern and was in fact driven from there with a steering wheel on the flat face next to the door.
Misstickle had a home made feel to the fittings, as it was not what I wanted and was badly damaged I threw it away to start from scratch.

My comment about the fitting of an inboard engine are only guess work and that is further complicated by there being two differing views about what the intention was, one being an electric motor the other being a sail drive unit, in practical terms neither would have worked if it was to remain trail able, certainly not with the trailer set up as is in view of the fact that with the prop below the bottom of the transom it would be scrapping on the road.

A word of caution here! If you are going down a steep slope onto a flat surface be VERY careful as the stern can hit the road.

I would suggest that the hole in the stern was part of the initial mould and when it was realised that it would not/could not work then it was left and plugged rather than have to re work the mould.
There is another version of the Caracruiser, ?Bubbles? being the only one I have come across, this has an inboard single cylinder diesel, but the top side is completely different and can no longer be a trail boat as it would need lifting onto a conventional trailer to get the necessary height off the road, this has of course a conventional propshaft.

Roger

Limey

• Free User
    • View Profile
No Luck yet
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 12:30:13 AM »
Hi All,

No luck on the document front, but I did see something that confirms an idea I had over entering the rear. The pic I hope to enclose shows steps on the rear, I was hoping to use some steps designed for entering a transit van attached to the rear and thus be able to swing in. I note in the picture he stayed with the low back and I managed to get a brand new 4hp mariner from Ebay. I got in and out of POrtsmouth harbour with one of these so I expect it will do, there is always oars! Clearly the boat stays very high in the water than originally thought.

Many thanks

Rob

chris

• Free User
    • View Profile
Re: Original Documents
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 06:58:22 PM »
link to sales leaflet http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1110/1443638018_e212c58719.jpg

Caracruisers were built at Horning on the Norfolk Broards, earlier models had a one piece screen later changed to a 3 piece, internal drains from the cabin top later changed to a cut out section of the lip in the same position and an inboard engine hatch between the external seating later solid and a small access hatch to the bilge from inside the cabin.

Interiors inculded a moulded toilet compartment ( smooth side out early reversed later), galley unit and seating supports and steering console although the central seating shown in the drawing was never in mine . Later versions had a high level moulded locker at the bow and proper car type roof lining the earlier version just had some loose flock material stuck on.floor was also molded fibreglass up to the units nothing under the seat and  galley units .

All caracruisers were made with a roof at the stern although several were cut off to give a rear control position

inboard engine option was to have used a jet drive similar to the caraboat

A larger version with a centrally mounted inboard was also made just before the company colapsed never seen one but saw a photo that was on a forum asking what is this boat may have been it.

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 08:28:40 PM »
  Hi Chris ( is that Chris who once owned Nick Nack ? )
intresting stuff , there also seems differant steering wheel positions too ?

gongoozler

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 07:26:51 PM »
I posted pictures of the CaraCruiser booklet on the Dawncraft website.
The link below should find them. Iv'e been offline for a while so I havn't replied sooner.
I did post some on this site but I can't find them. Don't know why theyv'e dissapeared but they're still on the dawncraft site.
gongoozler. AKA Tom

http://72.41.214.211/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2548
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!"

bugsbreeze

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 07:53:07 PM »
Hi Tom , Good to see your'e back ! hope all okay ,
i've found you're missing leaflet , its in 'Caracruiser Renovation' , 'I,ve Bought One' page 2
                        all the best Stewart

gongoozler

• Free User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 02:53:47 PM »
Thanks for those kind words Stewart. It's good to be back.
 Glad youv'e located the pictures-I couldn't be sure if I'd posted them on here or not.
My boat is now left at my son's address in Sheffield. It floated away in the flood complete with trailer atached. Was captured by neighbours who used it to rescue some of their property. I'll go and collect it first chance I get.
All the best. Tom
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!"